A Declaration of Intent on Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Capacity Building was signed on 28 April by Dr Cosmas Luckyson Zavazava, Director of ITU’s Telecommunication Development Bureau, and Mr. Lacina Koné, Director-General and CEO of Smart Africa Secretariat.
The Declaration will ensure close cooperation and collaboration in several areas of interest, including:
- Contributing jointly to the development of digital innovation ecosystems, digital entrepreneurship and digital innovation in support of digital inclusion.
- Supporting sustainable ecosystems and innovation capacity development such as content and knowledge for human capacity development, addressing the challenges faced by Smart Africa’s member/signatory countries.
- Supporting the closure of the digital divide and build inclusive economic growth by supporting countries to nurture competitive digital ecosystems where innovators, creators and entrepreneurs can unlock opportunities for the future workforce. Policymakers and other stakeholders lay the foundation for their success.
- Enhancing knowledge-sharing and capacity building with a view to fostering improved coordination and synergies and supporting best practices.
- Defining specific areas of strategic dialogue, programming, common approaches, and ongoing cooperation.
- Supporting and leveraging the work of ITU’s Innovation and Entrepreneurship Alliance for Digital Development for accelerating digital transformation for sustainable development, and the ITU academy and its network of Digital Transformation Centers.
- Supporting and leveraging the work of the Smart Africa Network of Incubators and Accelerators (SANIA) for the development of the entrepreneurship ecosystem in Africa, and the Smart Africa Digital Academy (SADA) initiative, aiming at empowering African citizens to reap the full benefit of the digital economy.
- Mobilizing funds for the implementation of joint activities and maintaining a harmonious working relationship for the achievement of their common objectives.