In 2020, International Girls in ICT Day was celebrated on 23 April.
A “24h World Tour of Girls in ICT Day celebrations highlights" featured some of the virtual celebrations taking place all over the world during the Day.
ITU hosted an online dialogue on Girls in ICT: Inspiring the Next Generation.
The online dialogue highlighted the importance of governments' engagement in empowering women through technology and drew attention to role models and mentors and how they can inspire girls and young women to take up careers in the tech field.
The online dialogue was held from 14-15:30 (Geneva time)
- Doreen Bogdan-Martin, Director of the Telecommunication Development Bureau of the International Telecommunication Union
- Betty G., Singer and UNHCR High Profile Supporter
- Laura Chinchilla, Former President of Costa Rica
- Areewan Haorangsi, Secretary General of Asia-Pacific Telecommunity
- Amani Abou‐Zeid, Commissioner for Infrastructure & Energy African Union Commission
- Wadha Bin Zarah, Women Empowerment Director, Saudi Ministry of Communications and Information Technology (MCIT)
- Gulnara Abdyllayeva, Director, Institute of Electronics and Telecommunications (Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic)
- Kim I. Mallalieu (PhD), Senior Lecturer, Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering, The University of the West Indies
- Ingrid Sanchez (PhD), Education Specialist of UNICEF
- Cristina Flutur, Co-President of CEPT
- Leila Elmergawi, Economic Policy Advisor, US Department of State, The Secretary's Office of Global Women's Issues (S/GWI)
- Paula Ferrari, GSMA Latin America
- Cecily Faasau, Acting Regulator of The Office of Regulator Samoa
- Asma Zein, General Manager, Crypta sal and President of Lebanese League for Women in Business (LLWB)