Women in Technology Uganda and Afchix Africa
Kampala, Uganda, 2013, April 25
REPORT ON GIRLS IN ICT DAY AT KYAMBOGO COLLEGE SCHOOL
AFCHIX AFRICA / WITU COLLABORATION
Saturday, 27th April, 2013
THEME: Expand horizons, change attitudes
ORGANIZERS AND FACILITATORS: Women in Technology Uganda and Afchix Africa
AUDIENCE: Girls of Kyambogo College School
AFCHIX PARTICIPANTS: Lilian Kamara; Joan Nayiga and Lillian Achom
WITU PARTICIPANTS: Lynn and Brian
Presentation by WITU
Presentation by Afchix Africa
Practical: The basics of website design using HTML
AFCHIX MEMBERS' DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lilian Kamara- Took photos
- Joan Nayiga- Wrote report
- Lillian Achom- Made the presentation
- Assisted in teaching website design basics to the students
KEY FINDINGS AND LESSONS
1. Less than 7 students in an audience of about 50 girls were thinking about doing Computer Science, Software or other ICT related programmes. Their reason was that ICT is complicated. The majority preferred to do Law, Medicine, etc.
2. The girls asked if they could enroll or apply for a computer related course when they did an Arts course at the school leaving advanced level
3. Girls also asked what the importance of designing a website was and how it could benefit them
4. The girls were able to design a simple webpage and learned how to: insert words in a webpage, change font sizes, insert back ground color, save and open web pages.
5. The AfChix team also benefited from having to teach others the basics of HTML.
6. Generally, the event was more engaging and the girls were excited about their own work.