The intent of the Collaboration is to provide a globally recognized forum for the creation of an internationally accepted, globally harmonized set of Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) communication standards of the highest quality in the most expeditious manner possible to enable the rapid deployment of fully interoperable ITS communication-related products and services in the global marketplace.
Terms of Reference
(Last updated on 17 July 2012)
Initial Work Items include:
Suggested List of Initial Work Items
- Perform a study of identified ITS application requirements so that needed communication capabilities and performance can be properly defined. See Requirements report (Draft, August 2012)
- Perform a gap analysis and quality assessment of current ITS communications standards and create an action plan to address identified needs. See standards catalogue questionnaire
- Converge, harmonize, and incorporate appropriate published and emerging ITS communication standards (regardless of their SDO source) into proper ITU Recommendations. See Working procedures (Draft, 15 June 2012)
- Create a complete, coherent and effective package of security frameworks and standards for use within ITS communications.
- Develop standards to govern the interaction of drivers with communication devices brought into vehicles (such as smart phones).
- Investigate regulatory and legislative actions necessary to facilitate the deployment of ITS communication products and services based on the ITS communication standards being developed.
- Review mobility network services and ITS communications for their application as a 'last resort' supplement to other communication systems for emergency and disaster handling.
(Last updated on 22 March 2013)