Executive Summary of the Working Party 1 and Working Party 2 of ITU-T Study Group 5 Meeting (Geneva, 23-29 July 2014)
Participants: 70 - The final list of participants is available in
TDs (not counting the revisions): 104
Incoming liaison statements: 11
Outgoing liaison statements: 6
Main discussions and results
Working Party 1/5 and Working Party 2/5 met from 23 to 29 July 2014, in Geneva, Switzerland. SG5 Chairman provide a brief overview of the last TSAG and Review Committee meetings.
TSB Secretariat announced the creation of a new collaboration tool for delegates, based on a SharePoint platform (https://extranet.itu.int/ITU-T/2013-2016/sg5), as contained in
TD602. This tool can offer many collaboration mechanism using Web2.0 technologies. Delegates are invited to use the site, provide comments and suggest improvements in order to make it more useful and adapted to expectations and needs of the SG5 experts.
The Draft Report of Working Party 1/5 can be found in
The Draft Report of Working Party 2/5 can be found in
Working Party 1/5 – Damage prevention and safety
Working Party 1 made significant progress on its Work Programme and achieved the following key outcomes:
Question 1/5 - Copper cables, networks and fibre-optic connection hardware for broadband access
- No progress was made at this meeting. Considering that this Question does not receive many contributions, the SG5 Chairman proposed to delete Q1/5. A final decision will be taken during the next SG5 meeting scheduled for December 2014 in India.
- It was also discussed the possibility to amend the text of Q12/5 in order to ensure the maintenance of existing Recommendations.
Question 2/5 - Protective components and assemblies
- Significant progress was made on Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.appl1 during this meeting. This draft Recommendation contained in
TD655rev1 was consented by WP1/5.
- Significant progress was made on Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.thy during this meeting. This draft Recommendation contained in
TD658rev1 was consented by WP1/5.
- A base text for ITU-T K.spd was presented at the meeting (C350) and it is expected that a draft Recommendation will be submitted for consent in 2015.
- It was also discussed the implications of the new waveshape definition contained in IEC 61000-4-5 Ed.3 on the ITU-T K Series Recommendations.
- Detailed information on the activities carried out by Q2/5 can be found in
Question 3/5 - Interference to telecommunication networks due to power systems and electrified railway systems
- Significant progress was made on Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.hvps1. It is expected that this draft Recommendation contained in
TD612rev2 will be submitted for consent at the next SG5 meeting.
- Significant progress was made on Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.hvps2. It is expected that this draft Recommendation contained in
TD648rev1 will be submitted for consent at the next SG5 meeting.
- It was agreed to revise Recommendation ITU-T K.5 and to include it in the Work Program of Question 3/5.
- Detailed information on the activities carried out by Q3/5 can be found in
Question 4/5 - Resistibility and safety in telecommunications
- Significant progress was made on Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.ovp. This draft Recommendation contained in
TD610rev4 was consented by WP1/5. Q4/5 wishes to thank Philip Day, ex-WP1 Chairman, for his extensive contribution to the creation of ITU-T K.ovp.
- Draft revised Recommendations ITU-T K.20, ITU-T K.21, and ITU-T K.45 were discussed during this meeting. It is expected that these revised draft Recommendations will be consented at the next meeting.
- Detailed information on the activities carried out by Q4/5 can be found in
Question 5/5 - Lightning protection and earthing of telecommunication systems
- Significant progress was made on Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.sf. This draft Recommendation contained in
TD596 was consented by WP1/5.
- The revision of Recommendation ITU-T K.27 progressed significantly during this meeting and it is expected that it will be consented at the next meeting.
- Significant progress was made on draft new Recommendations ITU-T K.tot, ITU-T K.ntt, ITU-T K.ldt, and ITU-T K.acrb. As a result of the analysis of draft Recommendation ITU-T K.tot, it was agreed to have the information related to lightning protection of solar power supply systems as a stand-alone Recommendation.
- Detailed information on the activities carried out by Q5/5 can be found in
New Work Items
WP1/5 approved the creation of the following work items:
- A new draft Recommendation ITU-T K.lsr (Lightning protection of solar power supply system feeding radio base station) was included in the work programme of Q5/5.
- It was agreed to revise Recommendation ITU-T K.5 (Joint use of poles for electricity distribution and for telecommunications) and to include it in the work programme of Q3/5.
Working Party 2/5 – Electromagnetic fields: emissions, immunity and human exposure
Working Party 2 made significant progress on its Work Programme and achieved the following key outcomes:
Question 6/5 - EMC issues arising from the convergence of IT and communication equipment
- Eight incoming Liaison Statements were received and examined during this meeting. Seven incoming liaison statements are related to Recommendation ITU-T K.60 “Emission levels and test methods for wireline telecommunication networks to minimize electromagnetic disturbance of radio services”.
- No significant progress was made on work items under the responsibility of Q6/5.
Question 7/5 - Human exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) due to radio systems and mobile equipment
- Q7/5 had a successful meeting and principally discussed the Guide on Electromagnetic Field and Health. The objective of the ITU EMF Guide is to answer the common questions on EMF asked by the public, and to address related concerns. The EMF Guide will:
- provide education and information: promoting EMF information and education resources suitable for all communities, stakeholders and governments.
- support clarification of the science: referencing the WHO and other stakeholders providing information most useful in helping clarify scientific uncertainties e.g. in the areas of Radio Frequency technology, infrastructure implementation, usage, and consequential EMF exposure.
- The Guide was approved as “Supplement 1 to ITU-T K.91” by WP2/5 as contained in
- Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.mips “Measurement of radio frequency electromagnetic fields to determine compliance with human exposure limits when a base station is put into service” has been reviewed and consented at this meeting as contained in
- Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.52 “Guidance on complying with limits for human exposure to electromagnetic fields” was reviewed and consented as contained in
- Amendment 1 to Recommendation ITU-T K.83 “Monitoring of electromagnetic field levels” was reviewed and approved.
Question 8/5 - EMC issues in home networks
- Q8/5 had a successful meeting and made good progress on:
- Draft revised Recommendation ITU-T K.74 (TD651rev1). It is expected that it will be consented at the next SG5 meeting scheduled to take place in December 2014.
- Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.mhn (TD652rev1). It is expected that it will be consented at the next SG5 meeting scheduled to take place in December 2014.
- A Questionnaire on interference between radio services and broadband transmissions on cables in home was agreed by WP2/5 (TD613).
Question 9/5 - Generic and product family EMC recommendations for telecommunication equipment
- Q9/5 had a successful meeting.
- A Questionnaire on EMI related to emission on AC mains below 150 kHz” (TD614) was agreed by WP2/5.
- The meeting agreed to initiate a new work item for a Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.e_faci “Emission requirements for electrical equipment in the telecommunication facilities”.
Question 10/5 - Security of telecommunication and information systems concerning the electromagnetic environment
- Q10/5 had a successful meeting. Recommendation ITU-T K.84 “Test methods and guide against information leaks through unintentional electromagnetic emissions” was approved as contained in (TD622rev1).
- Revised Recommendation ITU-T K.81 “High-power electromagnetic immunity guide for telecommunication systems” was consented at this meeting as contained in (TD621rev1).
- Amendment 1 to ITU-T K. 84 - Test methods and guide against information leaks through unintentional electromagnetic emissions was approved.
- Progress was made on Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.secmiti and it is expected that it will be consented at the next SG5 meeting scheduled to take place in December 2014.
Question 11/5 - EMC requirements for the information society
- Q11/5 had a good meeting. It was agreed to revise the scope of Revised Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.79 (TD673rev1).
- A first Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.term_emc (TD672rev1) was presented and discussed at this meeting.
New Work Items
WP2/5 approved the creation of the following work items:
- New Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.maps: Maps of RF EMF
- New Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.env: Guidance on the Environmental Management for Electromagnetic Radiation from Radiocommunication Base Stations
- New Draft Recommendation ITU-T K.e_faci: Emission requirements for electrical equipment in the telecommunication facilities
Dates of next SG5 meeting and interim Working Party meetings
No face-to-face meetings are planned for WP1 and WP2 before the next SG5 meeting.The next meeting of ITU-T SG5 is planned to take place from 8 to 19 December 2014 in Kochi, India.
Meetings of the Regional Groups of SG5
The next meetings of teh reegional groups will be hled as follows:
- SG5 RG AP: 26 September 2014, Beijing, China
- SG5 RG AMR: 1 October 2014, Merida, Mexico
- SG5 RG ARB: 25 November 2014, Kuwait (to be confirmed)
Focus Group on Smart Sustainable Cities (FG-SSC)
A technical report on "EMF Considerations"is being developed within the Focus Group on Smart Sustaianble Cities. An e-meeting to discuss this technical report took place on 25 July 2014 in conjuction with WP2/5.
Rapporteur group meetings (including e-meetings)
here for the complete list of planned meetings.
Results in terms of Recommendations and Other Publications
here to see the meeting results concerning the Recommendations.
Updates in the SG 5 Management Team and Rapporteurs
for the complete list of the newly appointed SG5 Rapporteurs and Associate Rapporteurs.
for the complete list of newly appointed SG5 management team.