Time and place: Friday 03 July 2020, 14h00 – 15h30 CET (Online dialogue)
ITU-D Study Groups organised a Public Webinar focusing on the role of broadcasting services and applications in response to the global COVID-19 pandemic. Broadcasting is undergoing transformations and a lot of new services and applications are being implemented in this changing environment. As part of the work of ITU-D Study Group 1 Question 2/1, a group of experts from ITU Membership has been studying issues ranging from technical, regulatory and policy strategies for the transition to digital broadcasting to the implementation of new services in broadcasting. This webinar focused on ways broadcasters are helping to respond to the current COVID-19 crisis contributing social awareness and information as well as addressing new communication needs. The speakers highlighted case studies on the broadcasters role on the mitigation of the crisis, and new services and applications that can be leveraged to help the population, including e-learning and emergency response.
An open discussion with all participants explored the related challenges, opportunities and lessons learned. The insights and findings gathered through the webinar will feed into the work of ITU-D study group Question 2/1.
OPENING REMARKS :
- Dr. Eun-Ju Kim, Chief of Digital Knowledge Hub Department,Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT), ITU [Biography]
- Mr. Istvan Bozsoki, Head of Telecommunication Networks and Spectrum Management Division, ITU [Biography]
- Ms. Jinane Karam, Vice-Rapporteur of ITU-D Question 2/1, Spectrum expert, Telecommunications Regulatory Authority, Lebanon [Biography] [Presentation]
- Mr. Roberto Mitsuake Hirayama, Vice-Chair of ITU-D SG1 and Rapporteur of I [Presentation]TU-D Question 2/1, Regulations Department,National Telecommunication Agency (ANATEL ),Brazil [Biography] [Presentation]
- Mr. Wu Gang, Vice Rapporteur of ITU-D Question 2/1, Director of Industrial Development Department, Huawei Technologies Co.Ltd [Biography] [Presentation]
- Dr. Walid Sami, Senior Project Manager, European Broadcasting Union (EBU) [Biography] [Presentation]