This session will first provide an overview of a catastrophic disaster. The scenario will help frame the discussion and help put into context how the various technologies and recommendations from the first session may be implemented. The session will then introduce the multiple, diverse stakeholders that seek to enable lifesaving communications and explore opportunities for improved disaster preparedness and response, increased coordination, and development of resilient infrastructure.
Moderator: Mr Joseph Burton, U.S. Department of State, United States
- Ms Vanessa Gray, Head, Least Developed Countries, Small Island Developing States and Emergency Telecommunications Division, BDT, ITU [presentation]
- Ms Wang Ke, Vice-Chairman for ITU-D SG2, Senior Engineer, Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), People’s Republic of China
- Mr Ananda Raj Khanal, Director, Electronic and Communication, Nepal Telecommunications Authority, Nepal
- Mr Christopher Kemei, Director of Licensing, Compliance and Standards, Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK), Kenya
- Mr Rod Stafford, Secretary, International Amateur Radio Union (IARU)
Q&A and panel discussion after presentations