ITU @ the World Conference for Disaster Rick Reduction (WCDRR) (http://www.wcdrr.org/)
The Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR) took place in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan from 14 to 18 March 2015.
The United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution (A/RES/67/209) to hold the Third World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction.
The objectives of the conference were the following:
- to complete the assessment and review of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action;
- to consider the experience gained through the regional and national strategies/institutions and plans for disaster risk reduction and their recommendations as well as relevant regional agreements under the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action;
- to adopt a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction;
- to identify modalities of cooperation based on commitments to implement a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction;
- to determine modalities for periodic review of the implementation of a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction.
Moreover, the General Assembly Resolution 68/211 (20 December 2013) calls for a concise, focused, forward-looking and action-oriented outcome document at the World Conference.
The United Nations work on reducing disaster risk is based on shared knowledge and experience of countries as well as other stakeholders. Milestones include the 1990s declaration of the international decade for natural disaster reduction (A/RES/42/169), the adoption of the International Framework for Action for the International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction (A/RES/44/236), the Yokohama Strategy and Plan of Action for a Safer World endorsed during the 1st World Conference on Natural Disaster Reduction, the adoption of both the International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (A/RES/54/219), and the Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA) at the 2nd World Conference on Disaster Reduction. The event builds on the findings of the review of the past plans of action and implementation of the recent Hyogo Framework for Action (HFA) of 2005.
ITU Public Forum Side Event: Forum on using ICTs for Disaster Risk Reduction (ICTs4DRR)
This side event explored the critical role of information and communication technology in disaster risk reduction. It discussed policy, legal, technical and regulatory, and operational issues. Panelists also reviewed the implementation of the Hyogo Framework and drew lessons post-2015 period that would inform the implementation of the Sendai Programme of Action.
Preliminary Programme can be found here.
Information on Accreditation & Registration
Information Note prepared by UN Office of Protocol for registration and accreditation purposes, please note that each participant
must be registered under his/her country’s delegation and follow the procedures
stated here or link consult WCDRR Website for more information.
The outcome of Third UN Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction was the Sendai Framework which was adopted by United Nations Member States on 18 March 2015 in Sendai City, Miyagi Prefecture, Japan.
More information about the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction can be found here
The Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030 can be found here