pdf format) |
9:00 - 9:15||
Opening of the workshop: ITU|
- Eng. Mustafa Al Mahdi, ITU Arab Regional Office
- Dr. Maria Sasabo, Permanent Secretary (Communications), Tanzania
9:15 - 10:15
Session 1: Addressing the e-waste challenge: Better data - Better policies
Brief introduction of speakers and trainers, including their backgrounds and brief inventory of knowledge of participants on e-waste and e-waste statistics. In addition, the session will give a brief overview of e-waste, e-waste statistics, the Global Partnership on E-waste Statistics, the 2017 Global E-waste Monitor, and ITU's mandate and role in the area of e-waste.
- Eng. Mustafa Al Mahdi, ITU , Arab Regional Office
- Mrs Vanessa Gray, Head, LDCs, SIDS & Emergency Telecommunications Division (ITU-D activities on e-waste)- Remotely
- Dr. Kees Baldé, Senior Programme Officer, UNU-ViE SCYCLE
- Ms Maria Victoria Sukenik, Chairman, ITU-T SG5 (ITU-T activities on e-waste)
10:15 - 10:45||
10:45 - 11:30 ||
Session 2: Country presentations (countries TBC)|
Two selected countries from the Arab/Africa region will present the work they have carried out in terms of monitoring e-waste, the challenges they have faced and the progress they have made.
- Eng Eiman Farouk, Head Environment Section- TPRA- Sudan
- Mr Mohammed Attiyah, Unit Manager International Relations Division, MCIT-Egypt
- Dr. Kees Baldé
11:30 - 12:00||
Session 3: General Principles of E-waste Statistics|
- General overview of the key principles and core indicators of E-waste statistics
- "Guidelines on E-waste Statistics" developed by the task group on measuring e-waste of the Partnership for Measuring ICT for Development
12:00 - 13:00||
13:00 - 13:30||
Session 4: How to track “sales of electronic equipment”, and how to measure “e-waste generated”?|
- Methodological guidance how to obtain data on the two indicators (sales and e-waste generated) of e-waste statistic
- Introduction to an open source software written in R by Statistics Netherlands and United Nations University
13:30 - 14:00||
Session 5: How to measure e-waste collected and recycled?|
||| Methodological guidance on classifications and how to obtain data on the one indicators (e-waste collected and recycled) of e-waste statistics|
- Mrs. Elise Vermeersch, Project Associate, UNU-ViE SCYCLE
14:00 - 14:30||
Session 6: How to measure imports and exports of e-waste?|
|||Methodological guidance on classifications and how to obtain data on imports and exports of e-waste|
14:30 - 15:00||
Session 7: How to use the e-waste toolkit?|
|||Explanation of an Excel Tool developed by United Nations University that assist countries to compile e-waste statistics|
15:00 - 15:30||
15:30 - 17:00||
Session 8: Group discussion on Workplan on e-waste statistics|
First part: E-waste statistics
For all attendees.
- What are the 3 main challenges related to e-waste in your country?
- Is there a legislation on e-waste in your country? How is it implemented?
- Responsibilities, coordination between stakeholders
- Who is responsible for e-waste take back in your country?
- Organizations / producers / Government
- Retailers, municipal collection points, and/or pick-up services
- How is the e-waste management situation in your country?
- Formal / informal recycling sector
- What is the situation of imports of e-waste in your country?
- What types of e-waste are imported/exported?
- From / to which countries?
- What are the potential data sources that fits into the UNU measurement framework?
- Household statistics / Collection points / Questionnaire to the e-waste facility / Registers from waste traders companies / Reports from NGOs / Existing surveys in the country / Statistics from associations / Scientific literature
- What are your expectation for future workshops?
- Topics, frequency, audience, etc
Arab countries and discussion of the Proposed Action Plan
- To discuss the draft action plan of Arab countries for year 2018- 2021.
Questions and answers
- Eng. Mustafa Al Mahdi
- Mrs Anne Rita Ssemboga, ITU Africa Regional Office (TBC)
- Dr. Kees Baldé,
- Mrs. Elise Vermeersch
- Tanzania (TBC)