|Information note to the press
|International Telecommunication Union
For immediate release
|Telephone:||+41 22 730 6039||
|Telefax:||+41 22 730 5933
MEDIA ADVISORY — MEDIA ADVISORY — MEDIA ADVISORY
World Summit on the Information Society
Preparatory Committee 17-28 February
Press Conference to include Information Society
Geneva, 14 February 2003 — The dramatic development of information and
communication technologies (ICTs) has revolutionized the way people work,
interact and conduct their daily lives. It has transformed the global economy
and heralded a new and dynamic information society. However, it has also created
a world of information ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’.
The second meeting of the Preparatory Committee for the World Summit on the Information
Society (Geneva 10-12 December 2003 and Tunisia in 2005), will begin
consideration of a draft Declaration of Principles and Action Plan to bridge the
‘digital divide’. It will be submitted for the approval of Heads of State
attending the Summit.
A number of workshops, panels and sessions will be held during the first week
of the Preparatory Committee meeting. These discussions will focus on critical
issues to the development of an information society for all. The topics include:
- Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) and Security
- ICT applications and services
- Access to knowledge, including cultural and linguistic diversity
- The role of the different stakeholders (including media) in the
- The needs of special groups
- ICT infrastructure and financing
For a complete agenda and additional information about the Committee,
Press conference - Monday, 17 February 2003 in Room 15 of the CICG at
14h00 — 15h30.
Participants in the Press Conference will include:
14h00 — 14h30
- Mr Yoshio Utsumi, Secretary General, ITU
- Mr Adama Samassekou, President of the WSIS Preparatory Committee
14h30 — 15h00
- Prof. Lawrence Lessig, Stanford University, author of books such as "Future
of Ideas" and "Code and other Laws of Cyperspace".
- Dr. Jacques Attali, Writer and President of PlaNet Finance.
- Maria Livanos Cattaui, Secretary-General of the International Chamber of
15h00 — 15h30
- Civil Society participants
- Following the press conference, the participants will join a 'visionaries'
panel on the Future of the Information Society. The panel will be moderated
by Maria Livanos Cattaui.