WUF10 Networking event on "Governing and managing smart sustainable cities"
Abu Dhabi, UAE, 10 February 2020
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and United for Smart Sustainable Cities (U4SSC) together with United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), UN-Habitat, Open and Agile Smart Cities (OASC) and Organization for International Economic Relations (OiER) organized a networking event on “Governing and managing smart sustainable cities", that took place during the World Urban Forum on 8-13 February 2020 in Abu Dhabi Exhibition Center- ADNEC in Abu Dhabi, UAE.
This networking event was held from 14:00 – 16:00 hours on 10 February 2020 in Hall 2, Room 8.
The WUF10 focused on the theme,
“Connecting Culture and Innovation", and took stock of emerging innovative approaches and practices in harnessing culture and innovation as drivers for sustainable urbanization and provide greater insights into the linkages between urbanization, culture and innovation as a basis for achieving inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable cities and human settlements.
Additional information on the WUF10 can be found
This event aimed to discuss a plan of action to ultimately provide thoughtful leadership on how to harness the full potential of frontier technologies to drive inclusive growth in smart sustainable cities and how they should be governed and managed.
This session brought together leading specialists in the field, from city planners to engineers, designers, policy-makers, government officials, regulators, academia and standards experts. Participation was free of charge.
Monday, 10 February 2020
14:15 – 15:30 ||
Panel – Governing and managing smart sustainable cities|
This interactive panel provided a platform to discuss the core governance and management issues emerged from the transition to smart sustainable cities. It also discussed the role of frontier technologies and different SSC stakeholders in implementing the SDGs. In particular, it highlighted the work of the U4SSC and its Key Performance Indicators for Smart Sustainable Cities project.
Moderator: Robert Lewis-Lettington, Chief, Land, Housing and Shelter and Section and Secretary, Global Land Tool Network, UN-Habitat: Constructing Smart City Governance Frameworks [Biography ]
- Robert Lewis-Lettington, Chief, Land, Housing and Shelter and Section and Secretary, Global Land Tool Network, UN-Habitat: Constructing Smart City Governance Frameworks [Biography]
- Okan Geray, Strategic Planning Adviser, Smart Dubai Office, UAE: Overview of U4SSC & ITU Work [Biography] [Presentation]
- Martin Brynskov, Chairman, Open & Agile Smart Cities, OASC: What Cities and Communities Need [Biography]
- Kristian Mjöen, Project Manager, University City 3.0, Trondheim, Norway: Becoming a Smart Sustainable Nation [Biography] [Presentation]
- Mei Lin Fung, Chair, People Centered Internet and Chair, Impact Network: From Castles to Condominiums [Biography] [Presentation]