1. What is the Short URL facility?
The ITU Short URL Facility allows users to create very short URLs (typically under 20 characters), in place of long and complex URLs found on some of the pages on the ITU web site.
2. How to use the ITU Short URL facility
3. General information on the Short URL facility
A. Go to: http://www.itu.int/go and log in with your TIES account.
B. Type in a target URL and click on the Validate button to ensure it is the one you want. After it's validated, click on the Create button.
C. After clicking on Create, the system generates a shortcut string and registers it. In this example, the short URL http://itu.int/go/G9B0 was created for the link to Recommendation ITU-T H.264 (http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-H.264-201201-P/en).
- Target URLs can only be of registered web sites. Currently, the following web sites are registered:
- The redirection is case-insensitive. This means that http://itu.int/go/G9B0 and http://itu.int/go/g9b0 or http://itu.int/go/g9B0 all take you to the same target URL
- The redirection ignores a '/ ' slash at the end of the shortcut URLs. This means http://itu.int/go/G9B0 and http://itu.int/go/G9B0/ have the same effect, going to the same target URL.
- In case the system finds the target URL already registered, it gives you the corresponding URL shortcut rather than creating a new one.