The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the United Nations' specialized agency for information and communication technology (ICT), has published a book titled ICT-centric economic growth, innovation and job creation, which provides a roadmap and practical strategies to utilize advances in ICTs to promote social and economic development.
Written by leading scholars and experts from around the world, the book addresses the opportunities offered by ICT in the area of innovation, governance, education, job creation and economic growth.
"I believe this publication will provide a good foundation and resource for the development of comprehensive strategies, which will further promote the use of ICTs in the attainment of sustainable development,'" said ITU Secretary-General Houlin Zhao. "I would like to thank the authors of the book for their vision and contributions."
"I highly recommend that all stakeholders, including policymakers, regulators, operators, and investors, as well as people in industry and academia, read and use the findings of this study, which sheds light on some of the greatest opportunities ICTs have to offer the world today," said ITU Telecommunication Development Bureau Director Brahima Sanou.
"This book presents a fresh and realistic assessment of the social and economic implications of ICTs for the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals, and offers practical guidance on how best to ensure ICTs contribute to the attainment of sustainable development for all," said Dr Ahmad Sharafat, co-editor and chair of ITU Development Sector Study Group 2.
ICT-centric economic growth, innovation and job creation provides readers with many resources to build their own capacities to leverage ICTs towards achievement of their own specific sustainable development goals. This includes:
- Addressing the challenges and opportunities offered by ICTs in the areas of innovation, governance, education, job creation and economic growth;
- Providing a roadmap and practical strategies for utilizing advances in ICTs to foster an environment that nourishes ICT-centric innovation, economic growth and social change consistent with the SDGs;
- Providing insight and direction on how to encourage and facilitate collaborative digital entrepreneurship, how to leapfrog the innovation gap, how to ensure sustainability, and how to create new job opportunities;
- Serving as a comprehensive resource for all the stakeholders within the ICT-centric ecosystem, including policymakers, regulators, operators, academics, funding agencies, regional and international organizations, financial institutions and citizens; and
- Providing a holistic and integrated view of the important elements that together and collectively can lead to sustainable development of nations.
The publication was launched in Buenos Aires, Argentina, during a high-level Ministerial Roundtable on the topic of leveraging ICTs for the SDGs organized in recognition of the 25th Anniversary of the ITU Telecommunication Development Sector (ITU-D).
Free download of the book available here.
Video about book available here.