Question 2/20 - Requirements and use cases for IoT
(Continuation of part of Question 2/13)
With the ever increasing number of services and applications, demand for studying the requirements and use cases for IoT has been steadily increasing. Emerging IoT services and applications are placing more and more requirements on networks and the provisioning of new services. One essential objective is the maximization of the usage of common requirements in order to provide support to a broad range of IoT services and applications in different vertical markets, in cost efficient, multi-vendor and easily deployable ways over converged infrastructures.
Emerging services and applications to be considered include:
Internet of Things (IoT) services and applications in different vertical market areas (key identified market areas including, but not limited to, smart home, smart water, smart energy, smart agriculture, smart manufacturing, wearables, emergency management, etc.).
Consideration will also be given to applications and services based on the integration of the aforementioned services and applications with advanced information and communication technologies (ICTs).
The following major Recommendations, fall under the responsibility of this Question:
Y.2069, Y.2213, Y.2221, Y.2222, Y.2060, Y.2061, Y.2065, Y.2066, Y.2067, Y.2068, Y.2074.
This Question addresses the support of emerging services and applications for IoT. On the basis of use cases and related ecosystem aspects, the requirements imposed on IoT will be specified.
Study items include, but are not limited to:
What are the requirements needed for the support of emerging services and applications for IoT?
What are the use cases for IoT applications and services?
- Collaboration with which standards developing organizations (SDOs) would be necessary to maximize synergies and harmonization of the existing standards related to this field of work?
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
Development of Recommendations for the support of emerging services and applications for IoT, covering:
- ecosystem aspects taking into account business models and use cases;
- requirements for IoT services and applications (including for the different service interfaces that will be required);
- Providing the necessary collaboration for joint activities in this field within ITU and between ITU-T and other relevant SDOs, consortia and fora.
The latest work programme under the responsibility of this Question is available at: http://www.itu.int/ITU-T/workprog/wp_search.aspx?Q=2/20 Relationships
ITU-T (e.g. considering their lead study group role), ITU-D and ITU-R Study Groups as appropriate
- ETSI TC Smart M2M
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG 10 and ISO/IEC JTC 1/WG9
- Industrial Internet Consortium (IIC)
- Alliance for IoT Innovation (AIoTI)