Question 1/20 - Research and emerging technologies including terminology and definitions
(Continuation of part of Q20/5, Q1/11, Q2/13, Q3/13, Q11/13, Q25/16)
The Internet of Things (IoT) has the potential to change the lifestyle of the people and the way they interact with the surroundings, especially in smart cities and communities (SC&C). In this regard, it is important to explore the emerging technologies and trends that will contribute to that change. It is expected that IoT will have a significant impact on key infrastructural elements pertaining to cities, including the transportation, health and energy sectors, quality of life (QoL) and environment as well as on society and the economy in general.
To facilitate discussions and to have a common background of relevant issues, the terminologies related to IoT and SC&C need to be coordinated and unified. Accordingly, it would be appropriate to identify research and analyze emerging applications and solutions for IoT and SC&C.
This Question is tasked to capture and develop definitions, to contribute to a common terminology for IoT and SC&C. Also, this Question can contribute to the research on solutions for interoperability across different technologies (including identification) and taking into account both end-user and market needs. Considering the rapid evolution of the IoT domain, this Question can also contribute to bringing relevant research and technological developments in this area, to the attention of the ITU-T Study Group 20 (SG20).
Study items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Terms, definitions, abbreviations, letter symbols and schematic symbols used for IoT and SC&C research.
- Which new Recommendations should be developed for IoT and SC&C, related terms and definitions?
- Which new Recommendations should be developed for research and emerging technologies related to IoT and SC&C?
- How and where could the use of IoT emerging technologies create value?
- What are the impacts of introducing IoT on human activities and how can the corresponding constraints be addressed?
- How can end user adoption of IoT be considered?
- How will IoT change the business models and the market environment?
- Research related to IoT identification and relevant concepts and mechanisms, including IoT ID Naming and Addressing.
- What are the emerging technologies and research outcomes relevant for IoT and SC&C?
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Development, maintenance and enhancement of the Recommendations on terminology related to IoT and SC&C;
- Development, maintenance and enhancement of the Recommendations;
- Development in collaboration with other SG20 Questions, on frameworks and roadmaps for the harmonized and coordinated development of Internet of things (IoT), including M2M communications and ubiquitous sensor networks in ITU-T;
- Development in close cooperation with ITU-D and ITU-R Study Groups and other regional and international standards-development organizations (SDOs), academia and industry fora;
- Development of a global database for IoT and SC&C standards based on the information gathered in the Roadmap on IoT developed by JCA-IoT;
- Maintenance of existing and future ITU-T Recommendations related to IoT and SC&C;
- Development of guidelines, methodologies and best practices related to IoT and SC&C to help developing countries in bridging the digital gap in this field;
- Development of a global repository on IoT and SC&C to promote SG20 work results and activities, as well as to list reports and links of external organizations involved in this area;
- Harmonization of the terminology within ITU and relevant SDOs;
- Identification of emerging technologies and relevant research work on IoT and SC&C;
- Liaise and foster cooperation with the academia, research and innovation community on IoT and SC&C;
- Liaise and foster cooperation with other SDOs and international fora including small and medium enterprises (SMEs) on IoT and SC&C;
- Identify in coordination with other SG20 Questions new work areas linked to IoT and SC&C, and collaborate with relevant ITU-T SGs and other SDOs and fora, to initiate studies on those identified work areas.
ITU-T (e.g. considering their lead study group role), ITU-D and ITU-R Study Groups as appropriate
This Question will collaborate with ITU-T SG2 on issues related to Naming, Numbering Addressing and Identification
TSAG and Review CommitteeOther bodies:
- IEC, ISO and other relevant standardization bodies, and specialized international fora.