|10:00 – 10:30
Welcome and Opening Remarks
|10:30 – 11:15
What is “spam” and the Role of Tools – panel discussion of what is unsolicited mail and how spam is defined for this workshop as well as what data, tools and software exists today that users, governments and network operators can consider as part of a spam, malware, and botnet mitigation program.
The (ITU speaker) and lndustry experts will discuss what is spam, what tools and standards are currently available for spam mitigation and how they can be used to better manage the proliferation of spam.
- Rethinking Spam - The Evolution of a Threat Vector: Paul J.S. Oliveria, Trend Micro [ Biography | Presentation ]
- Spam is Bad: John R. Levine, CAUCE North America, [ Presentation ]
|11:15 – 12:00
Role of governments – panel discussion of spam policy development from government representatives based on their experiences in how they developed legislation, regulation and enforcement criteria to mitigate spam, malware and botnets within their country.
- Industry Responses to Spam: John R. Levine, CAUCE North America, [ Presentation ]
- ITU-T Standardization on Countering Spam: Sergio Scarabino, ITU, [ Presentation ]
The ITU speaker and government representatives from the Dutch Ministry and Industry Canada will discuss their experiences in addressing spam in their countries including the development of spam legislation, regulation and enforcement frameworks.
- Spam Legislation in the Netherlands: the Law, Results, Approach and Lessons Learned: Wout de Natris, [ Presentation ]
|12:00 – 14:00
|14:00 – 15:00
Role of industry – panel discussion with leading industry organizations that have developed best practices, codes of conduct, standards and other operational materials to help network operators adopt and use mitigate spam solutions, including malware, botnets and phishing.
The (ITU speaker) and the representatives from the Messaging, Malware, Mobile Anti-Abuse Working Group (M3AAWG), the London Action Plan (LAP) and other organizations focused on addressing spam will discuss how they collaborate to deal with spam mitigation.
- E-mail security: Chip Sharp, CISCO, [ Presentation ]
- SpamIQ - Free spam analysis and data mining tool: mailshell, [ Presentation ]
|15:00 – 15:30
Role of industry: Mobile – discussion of the migration of spam to mobile platforms and what is being done by the industry to address the issue
Representatives from the GSMA and Cloudmark.
- SPAM en los móviles: Hacia una solución convergente: Matias Fernandez Diaz, GSMA LA [ Presentation ]
|15:30 – 16:00
|16:00 – 17:00
Role of technical experts – panel discussion with technical experts on what they do to manage network operations and address the proliferation of spam, including the risks associated with spam mitigation.
Panel discussion with (ITU speaker) and regional technical experts and network operators from Latin America to discuss how they approach and collaborate on spam mitigation.