(Continuation of Question 20/16 - Multimedia coordination)
ITU‑T Study Group 16 has been assigned lead study group roles, and coordination is a major responsibility within the lead study group roles.
The objective of this Question is to manage the development and progress of multimedia standardization. The technical studies will be addressed in the relevant Questions of Study Group 16 as well as by other groups.Study items
Study items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- coordination with other key players on multimedia communication standardization, there included network signal processing, media coding, emergency communications, conferencing, telepresence and virtual reality;
- development and updating of the Mediacom Project documentation, their included roadmaps and action plans for Study Group 16-wide topics.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- develop and update a multimedia services and applications standardization roadmap through an appropriate communication process amongst all interested parties, including the organization of workshops on dedicated standardization issues;
- define and implement a management structure including a multimedia standards steering committee involving all interested organizations;
- document and agree the processes for coordination;
- using appropriate coordination mechanisms, negotiate with the relevant bodies to ensure that overlapping efforts are avoided, all required standards are being addressed, and the need for devices (e.g. gateways) to ensure end-to-end interoperability is minimized;
- cooperate with the Telecommunication Development Sector of ITU for activities aiming at bridging the standardization gap.
– This Question performs as a coordination focal point in the study groups and as such it is not expected to produce any Recommendations.
- F, G, H, I, Q, T, V, X, Y-series Recommendations under the responsibility of SG16
- All Questions of Study Group 16
- ITU‑T SGs 2, 3, 5, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 17 and 20
- ITU‑R SGs 5 and 6
- ITU‑D SGs 1 and 2
- IEC TC 100, ISO/IEC JTC1 (SC 29, SC 31 and others), ETSI, IETF
- Relevant forums and consortia