IMT-2020: Network requirements and functional architecture
(Continuation of Question Q20/13)
The objective of the development of IMT-2020 is to address the anticipated needs of users of mobile services in the years 2020 and beyond. The vision and service scenarios will have been identified by related SDOs (ITU-R, 3GPP, NGMN, etc.), e.g., Enhanced Mobile Broadband, ultra-reliable and low latency communications, massive machine type communications.
IMT-2020 systems will differentiate themselves from fourth generation (4G) systems not only through further evolution in radio-interfaces but also through greatly increased flexibility end-to-end. On one hand, requirements on service scenarios should be met by IMT-2020 function design. On the other hand, this end-to-end flexibility will bring the challenge to architecture and functional design of IMT-2020 considering diverse service requirement. And it comes in large part from the incorporation of network softwarization into every component. Well known techniques such as NFV, SDN will together allow unprecedented flexibility in the IMT-2020 system. Such flexibility will enable many new capabilities including network slicing.
This question focuses on the study of the requirements, capabilities, architecture and key technologies to realize the IMT-2020 network. And the ecosystem from business models and use cases should be promoted to build and realize the better cooperation with mobile customers. Open source projects should also be utilized and guide to meet the requirement of IMT-2020 network.
QuestionStudy items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- What are the key requirements and capabilities of IMT-2020 networks based on the service scenarios of IMT-2020?
- What framework and architecture are required to realize networks of IMT-2020 based on the identified requirements and capabilities?
- What key technologies related to IMT-2020 are required to realize networks of IMT-2020?
- How to build and/or guide the ecosystem on IMT-2020 taking into account business models and use cases
- How to utilize and guide the open source software related to IMT-2020 to meet the requirements of IMT-2020
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Development of Recommendations on the requirements and capabilities for the networks of IMT-2020 based on the service scenarios of IMT-2020
- Development of Recommendations on the framework and architecture design of IMT-2020 based on, not limited to, the above identified requirements, capabilities and the gap analysis identified by FG on IMT-2020
- Development of Recommendations and other relevant documents on overall requirements and functional architecture of IMT-2020 incorporating relationship with IMT-2020 technologies including network softwarization, network slicing, orchestration, capability exposure, etc.
- Development of Recommendations on the interworking with current networks including IMT-Advanced, etc.
- Study of potential utilization and guide of open source software activities in IMT-2020 networks
- Development of Recommendations on ecosystem aspects taking into account business models and use cases
An up-to-date status of work under this Question is contained in the SG13 Work Programme.http://www.itu.int/itu-t/workprog/wp_search.aspx?sg=13
- All SG13 related Questions, such as Q6/13, Q16/13, Q21/13, Q22/13, Q23/13
- ITU Study Groups involved with IMT-2020 studies