Study Group 20 is responsible for studies relating to Internet of Things (IoT) and its applications, with an initial focus on Smart Cities and Communities (SC&C).
ITU-T SG 20 will work on the following items:
- Framework and roadmaps for the harmonized and coordinated development of Internet of things (IoT), including M2M communications, ubiquitous sensor networks and smart sustainable cities and communities, in ITU‑T and in close cooperation with ITU-D and ITU‑R SGs and other regional and international standards-development organizations (SDO) and industry forums;
- Requirements and capabilities of IoT and its applications including SC&C;
- Definitions and terminology for IoT;
- IoT infrastructure/ services available in smart sustainable cities/ architecture framework and requirements of IoT for SC&C;
- efficient service analysis and infrastructure of IoT use in smart sustainable cities and communities to assess how the use of IoT has an impact on the smartness of cities;
- guidelines, methodologies and best practices related to standards to help cities (including rural areas and villages) deliver services using the IoT, with an initial view to address city challenges;
- IoT end-to-end architectures;
- Data sets that will enable data interoperability for various verticals, including smart cities, e-agriculture, etc.;
- High-layer protocols and middleware for IoT systems and applications including SC&C;
- Middleware for interoperability between IoT applications for different IoT verticals;
- Quality of service (QoS) and end-to-end performance for IoT and its applications including SC&C;
- Security of IoT systems, services and applications;
- Database maintenance of existing and planned IoT standards.
Additionally, ITU-T SG20 management will, in coordination with the TSB Director and TSAG, as needed, investigate ways to more efficiently run its meetings and to encourage participation of external players, including other SDOs, forums and consortia (such as oneM2M, IEEE, ISO, IEC, JTC1 etc…) as well as small and medium enterprises and start-up companies actively working in the IoT space.