Within the General Secretariat, the Strategic Planning and Membership Department (SPM) anticipates, analyzes and advises on strategic challenges and their implications for the Union in the fast-evolving telecommunications, information and communication and digital environment.
The main objectives of the Strategic Planning and Membership Department (SPM) are to:
- advise the Secretary-General on strategic challenges and their implications for the Union in the fast-evolving telecommunications/ICT environment;
- develop forward-looking strategic proposals to the ITU management team with a view to ensuring that the organization meets the objectives assigned by the membership;
- coordinate the development, implementation and monitoring of the Union's strategic plan and transformation roadmap with a view to ensuring their accordance with membership objectives;
- organize and provide secretariat services to the ITU Plenipotentiary Conference, ITU Council, and other meetings in the general secretariat to achieve a high level of involvement from Member States and Sector Members;
- develop and maintain sound relations with Member States, Sector Members, Associates, Academia, the United Nations and sister agencies, regional and international organizations; nongovernmental and civil society organizations;
- provide expert advice on communication and advocacy strategies and developing and implementing the Union's corporate communication plan in cooperation with the three Sectors with a view to promoting ITU leadership in the field of telecommunications and emerging technologies.