Embedded within the General Secretariat, the Human Resources Management Department (HRMD) advises the Secretary General on human resources matters.
The Department strives to provide comprehensive strategic and operational advice in these areas, while ensuring consistency with ITU overall strategy, policies, regulations and rules, as well as being in harmony with policies promulgated by the UN Common System (ICSC).
HRMD endeavors to effectively and efficiently manage the human capital and physical assets of the Union; creating and facilitating a stimulating and supportive work environment and encouraging organizational creativity and a performance oriented culture based on results. HRMD maintains an open and productive dialogue with the ITU Staff Council through statutory joint staff/management bodies and regular discussions on topics of mutual interest.
- Manages the administration of Staff Services at HQ and in the Field for all staff of the Union, including short-term employees, consultants, experts and interns - such as appointments and contracts, benefits and entitlements, payroll and salaries, recruitment, staff development, staff welfare, post classification and organizational structure, pensions and insurance and e-Reporting. Provides human resource advice and service to ITU staff.
- Develops, harmonizes and streamlines policies, regulations and rules; develops competencies; manages training and performance appraisal systems, ensures job classification services and coordinates with the UN System through mechanisms such as the HR Network and the ICSC.
- Develops and implements strategy to create a workforce with high standards of competence, efficiency and integrity through a performance-management framework that fosters a culture of responsibility and accountability, recognizing high performance and encouraging individual staff development.
- Promotes a healthy and safe working environment for staff and visitors, cooperating fully with all staff and managers in applying all measures needed to maintain a healthy working environment.
- Provides data reports and statistical analysis to: Department Managers, Directors, Union Membership and the UN system.