Executive Summary of the ITU-T Study Group 20 Meeting, Forum on Internet of Things in Smart Sustainable Cities: A New Age of Smarter Living and Joint Coordination Activity on Internet of Things and Smart Cities and Communities
(Singapore, 18-26 January 2016)
Numbers and other links
- Consented Recommendations: 2 at this meeting
- Recommendations Decided/Determined/Approved: none at this meeting
- Recommendations agreed for Deletion: none at this meeting
Other texts approved: (Total: 8) 8 supplements
- New work items: 13
- List of
pre-approved interim meetings: see TD 274 Rev.1.
- Final text of the 15 outgoing
Liaison Statements: see
- The meeting had around 180 registered participants during the meeting period. Remote participation services were provided; some delegates joined both remotely and physically. The
final list of participants is available in TD 186 Rev.1.
- Recommendation "ITU-T Y. IoT-DM-reqts (ITU-T Y.4702)" which is entitled "Common requirements and capabilities of device management in the Internet of Things", was proposed by Q2/20 for Consent by SG20 at this meeting. The draft new Recommendation was consented on 26 January 2016 and is provided in TD 207 Rev.2.
- Recommendation "Y.IoT-SPSN (ITU-T Y4553)" which is entitled "Requirements of smartphone as sink node for IoT applications and services", was proposed by Q4/20 for Consent by SG20 at this meeting. The draft new Recommendation was consented on 26 January 2016 and is provided in
TD 226 Rev.1.
Two collocated activities
Dates of next SG20 meeting and interim Working Party meetings
- The next meeting of ITU-T SG20 is scheduled from 25 July to 5 August 2016.
- Interim Physical Rapporteur Meetings are scheduled for 2-13 May 2016 in Geneva.
Map of meeting reports & Liaison Statements (as seen by the SG20 Plenary)
Summary of Questions' Results
Question 1/20 summary
Question 1/20 had a successful meeting. Five new work items were adopted, including: Y.HEP, Framework for Home Environment Profiles and Levels of IoT Systems; Y.SCC-Terms, Vocabulary for Smart Cities and Communities; Y.IPv6RefModel, Reference Model of IPv6 Addressing Plan for Internet of Things Deployment by Smart Cities, Public Administrations and Companies; Y.IPv6-suite, Reference Model of Protocol Suite for IPv6 Interoperable Internet of Things Deployments; IPv6-IoT Supp, IPv6 Potential for the Internet of Things and Smart Cities. One input liaison statement was reviewed, and one output liaison statement was formally finalized. The Question is planning on holding e-meetings and a Rapporteur meeting in Geneva in May 2016.
Question 2/20 summary
Q2/20 had a very successful meeting. Q2/20 completed 25 sessions within which all 37 Contributions received were reviewed along with 11 TDs. Two joint sessions were successfully held with Q4/20 to discuss and take decisions concerning relevant inputs related to the transportation area. All Work Items were progressed with significant inputs from the floor, lively discussions and dedication from all the participants. The Draft Recommendation Y.IoT-DM-Reqts (Common requirements and capabilities of device management in IoT) was proposed for Consent. 3 new Work Items were proposed for approval and 1 outgoing Liaison Statement was prepared. Q2/20 agreed also to revise Recommendation Y.2067 “Common requirements and capabilities of a gateway for Internet of things applications”.
The meeting also progressed the development of a template of use cases (application domain-oriented at the current stage of discussions) for possible adoption in the future. It was agreed to hold at least one Interim Electronic meeting (with selected topics) and at least one physical Rapporteur meeting before the next SG20 meeting scheduled for 25 July - 5 August 2016: A Q2/20 Interim Electronic Meeting is planned for 30-31 March and 4-5-6 April 2016, while the Interim Physical Rapporteur meeting is planned for 2-13 May 2016.
Question 3/20 summary
The assigned documents to Question 3/20 were addressed in 7 sessions during 18-26 January 2016, in Singapore, within the SG20 meeting under the chairmanship of Dr. Shane He (Nokia Solutions and Networks). Q3/20 adopted the agenda in
TD 167. Question 3/20 discussed 10 contributions and 3 incoming liaison statements. During the meeting, Q3/20 has made progress on 5 draft Recommendations. At the meeting, Q3/20 produced 7 output documents including revised texts of ongoing draft Recommendations, living list and the meeting report.
The main results of the meeting are as follows:
Question 4/20 summary
- Updated draft recommendation Y.IoT-cdn (TD 208), Framework of constrained device networking in the IoT environments;
- Updated draft recommendation Y.IoT-son (TD 225), Framework of Self-organization networking in the IoT environments;
- Updated draft recommendation Y.NGNe-IoT-arch (TD 270), Architecture of the Internet of Things based on NGNe;
- Updated draft recommendation Y.IoT-DE-RA (TD 249 Rev.1), Reference architecture for IoT device capability exposure;
- Updated draft recommendation Y.IoT-SCE (TD 250 Rev.1), Reference architecture for IoT network service capability exposure;
- Living list of Q3/20 (TD 284).
The assigned documents to Question 4/20 were addressed in 14 sessions during 18-26 January 2016, in Singapore, within the SG20 meeting under the chairmanship of Dr. Abdulhadi AbouAlmal (Etisalat, United Arab Emirates) and with the assistance of the Associate Rapporteur, Mr. Leng Chye (IDA, Singapore). The group adopted the agenda in
TD 172. Q4/20 discussed 21 Contributions including Liaison Statements. During the meeting, Q4/20 has made progress on 3 draft Recommendations and has agreed to submit 2 new work items for SG20 approval as initial draft recommendations. At the meeting, Q4/20 produced 16 output documents including revised texts of on-going and initial draft Recommendations, living list and the meeting report.
The main results of the meeting are as follows:
- Finalized draft Recommendation "Y.IoT-SPSN" (TD 226 Rev.1) for consent by SG20, Requirements of smartphone as sink node for IoT applications and services.
- Updated draft recommendation Y.IoT-ASF (TD 231), Adaptive software framework for IoT devices;
- Updated draft recommendation Y.del-fw (TD 232), Framework of delegation service for the IoT devices;
- Updated draft recommendation Y.IoT-EH-PFE (TD 233), Performance evaluation framework of e-health systems in the IoT;
- Split the Y.IoT.TPS.rfw work item scope and create a new work item ITU-T Y.TPS-afw (TD 268 Rev.1) with an initial draft recommendation "Architectural framework for providing transportation safety service" for SG20 approval;
- Agreed to submit new WI for SG20 approval and developed initial draft recommendation ITU-T Y.IoT-IoD-PT (TD 255 Rev.1), "Identity of IoT devices based on secure procedures and ensures privacy and trust of IoT systems";
- Created Living list of Q4/20 (TD 276).
Question 5/20 summary
Question 5/20 discussed seven Contributions, four TDs from the previous meeting and one Liaison Statement. Q5/20 decided to develop one new draft Recommendation:
- Y.smartport, Requirements of smart management of supply services in Smart Ports
TD 282 Rev.1.
Four Draft Supplements were submitted for Agreement:
- ITU-T Y.Supp.34 to ITU-T Y.4000 series (Y.Supp.SC-stakeholders) "Smart Sustainable Cities - Setting the stage for stakeholders' engagement" (New)
TD 241 Rev.1;
- ITU-T Y.Supp.33 to ITU-T Y.4000 series (Y.Supp.SC-plan) "Smart Sustainable Cities - Master plan" (New)
TD 242 Rev.1;
- ITU-T Y.Supp.32 to ITU-T Y.4000 series (Y.Supp.SC-guide) "Smart sustainable cities - a guide for city leaders" (New)
TD 243 Rev.1;
- ITU-T Y.Supp.31 to ITU-T Y.4550 series (Y.Supp.SC-buildings) "Smart Sustainable Cities - Intelligent sustainable buildings" (New)
TD 244 Rev.1.
Q5/20 made progress on two ongoing draft Recommendations. At the meeting, Q5/20 produced nine output documents including the meeting report, one initial text of a new draft Recommendation and two revised texts of ongoing draft Recommendations.
Question 6/20 summary
Question 6/20 made good progress on four ongoing work items. Two new work items were approved based on contributions made by Spain: Platforms interoperability for smart cities and communities and Telecommunication systems as infrastructure in smart cities and communites.
Four supplements were submitted for Agreement:
- ITU-T Y.Supp.28 to ITU-T Y.4550 series (Y.Supp.IMSC) Integrated management for smart sustainable cities;
- ITU-T Y.Supp.29 to ITU-T Y.4250 series (Y.MSinfra) Multi-service infrastructure for smart sustainable cities in new-development areas;
- ITU-T Y.Supp.30 to ITU-T Y.4250 series (Y.Supp.Overview-SC-infra) Overview of smart sustainable cities infrastructure;
- ITU-T Y.Supp.27 to ITU-T Y.4400 series (Y.framework-arch-SC) Setting the framework for an ICT architecture of a smart sustainable city.
There was also a joint Q5/20 and Q6/20 meeting that reviewed seven contributions made by Spain. One incoming liaison statement was reviewed, and one outgoing liaison statement was prepared. Question 6/20 is planning to hold a series of e-meetings and a physical Rapporteur meeting in Geneva in May 2016
Recommendations Consented by SG20 at the closing Plenary
"Requirements of smartphone as sink node for IoT applications and services"
TD 226 Rev.1
| ITU-T Y. IoT-DM-reqts|
"Common requirements and capabilities of device management in the Internet of Things"
TD 207 Rev.2
Recommendations Approved by SG20 on the closing Plenary (according to A.8 §5)
None at this meeting.
Recommendations Decided by SG20 on the closing Plenary
None at this meeting.
Other texts approved by SG20
|Y.Supp 27 (Y.Supp.framework-arch-SC), Draft Supplement to ITU-T Y.4000 series: Smart Sustainable Cities - Setting the framework for an ICT architecture, for agreement||
TD 247 Rev.1|
|Y.Supp 28 (Y.Supp.IMSC), Draft Supplement to ITU-T Y.4000 series: Smart Sustainable Cities -Integrated management, for agreement||TD 248 Rev.1|
|Y.Supp 29 (Y.Supp.MSinfra), Draft Supplement to ITU-T Y.4000 series: Smart Sustainable Cities - Multi-service infrastructure in new-development areas, for agreement||
TD 246 Rev.1|
|Y.Supp 30 (Y.Supp.Overview-SC-infra), Draft Supplement to ITU-T Y.4000 series: Smart Sustainable Cities - Overview of smart sustainable cities infrastructure, for agreement||
TD 245 Rev.1|
|Y.Supp 31 (Y.Supp.SC-buildings), Draft Supplement to ITU-T Y.4000 series: Smart Sustainable Cities - Intelligent sustainable buildings, for agreement||
TD 244 Rev.1|
|Y.Supp 32 (Y.Supp.SC-guide), Draft Supplement to ITU-T Y.4000 series: Smart sustainable cities - a guide for city leaders, for agreement||
TD 243 Rev.1|
|Y.Supp 33 (Y.Supp.SC-plan), Draft Supplement to ITU-T Y.4000 series, Smart Sustainable Cities - Master plan, for agreement||
TD 242 Rev.1|
|Y.Supp 34 (Y.Supp.SC-stakeholders), Draft Supplement to ITU-T Y.4000 series, Smart Sustainable Cities - Setting the stage for stakeholders' engagement, for agreement||
TD 241 Rev.1|
Recommendations agreed for deletion by SG20
None at this meeting.
Updates in the SG20 management team and Rapporteurs
here for the complete list of SG20 Rapporteurs)
- Mr Omar Elloumi (Alcatel-Lucent), as Q3/20 Rapporteur due to other commitments with oneM2M
- Mr Harinderpal Singh Grewal (Infocommunications Development Authority of Singapore (IDA)) as Co-Vice-chairman WP2/20
- Ms Shane He (Nokia Solutions & Networks) as Q3/20 Rapporteur
- Mr Leng Chye Leck (IDA) as Associate Rapporteur Q4/20
- Mr Song Luo (CATR, China) as Associate Rapporteur Q3/20
- Ms Xueqin Jia (China Unicom) from Associate Rapporteur Q5/20 to Associate Rapporteur Q2/20
Representatives and other roles:
Executive Summary from previous meetings: 2015-10