Day 1 - Wednesday 14 March 2012
Master of Ceremony:
Mr Sunil Abraham, Executive Director of the Centre for Internet and Society (CIS)
Mr Ravi Shanker
Administrator Universal Service Obligation Fund
National Internet Exchange of India
Ms. Swaran Lata
Director and Head of Department
Department of Information and Technology
Mr. R. N. Jha
Deputy Director General (International Relations)
Department of Telecommunications
Ms. Archana Gulati
National Disaster Management Authority
Wednesday 14 March 2012 0. Introduction to seminar - Peter Olaf LOOMS [ PRESENTATION ]
Tutors, objectives, activities, resources.
- Where do you come into contact with media accessibility in your work?
- What do you want to get out of the seminar?
1. The rationale of accessible media – who needs them? - Peter Olaf LOOMS [ PRESENTATION ]
- Who needs accessible media?
- What is the nature of the media accessibility challenge in India?
- Can we quantify and prioritise the challenge?
2. Introduction to media and accessibility – what are the strategies? Peter Olaf LOOMS [ PRESENTATION ]
- What can be done to improve TV accessibility?
- How can an understanding of the value chain and the stakeholders help optimise media accessibility?
- What can we do to make media other than TV accessible?
- What does the term “media” mean?
- What can we do to improve TV usability?
- How can we improve accessibility by offering access services?
Mr A. K. BHATNAGAR
(Broadcasting Corporation of India)
Thursday 15 March 2012
4. Access services – the options (subtitling, audio description, visual signing, audio subtitles and speaking interfaces) Takebumi ITAGAKI and Peter Olaf LOOMS [ PRESENTATION ]
- Workflows - what does producing access services entail?
- Bandwidth requirements – what does it take to encode and deliver media and access services to their intended users?
- Costs – what resources are needed and what do they cost?
- What is a business model?
- Are there business models for accessible television receivers?
- What are the common business models for television access services?
- Legislation, regulation and standards – how do we turn vision into reality?
6. Putting it all together – from vision to reality [ PRESENTATION ]
- How can we plan and execute the introduction of access services for a specific media platform
- Evaluating our work over the two-day period
Formal closing of the seminar