Following the adoption of the Accessibility Policy in 2013, ITU has produced an Accessibility Plan for 2014, a consolidated plan of activities that will gradually remove existing accessibility barriers in ITU.
The main actions included in the plan include:
- provide basic training in disability awareness for all staff;
- incorporate a reference to reasonable accommodation in registration forms and invitation letters to ITU events and conferences;
- assess the opportunity for improving the efficiency of ITU internal processes regarding the provision of captioning services;
- improving the accessibility of Word documents used in ITU meetings and conferences;
- defining an action plan for the provision of reasonable accommodation during PP14;
- organizing a side-event during PP14 to inform ITU Membership on the implementation of the ITU Accessibility Policy
- organizing a showcase-demos on specific areas related to accessibility;
- setting a process to systematically collect information on needs and preferences of meeting and conference participants concerning accessibility;
- inviting ITU Member States to allocate a budget line for the implementation of the Accessibility Policy in the Union's budget
- conducting an assessment of the level of accessibility of ITU recruitment process;
- adjusting ITU procurement processes to incorporate the accessibility requirements (focus on IT equipment);
- mainstreaming accessibility in ITU programmatic activities.