The WTIS is organized by the Telecommunication Development Bureau (BDT) of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and hosted by the Government of Georgia. The WTIS, held annually, is the main global forum to discuss international ICT statistics and information society measurement.
The ITU flagship report Measuring the Information Society 2014 will be launched at WTIS. The report features the latest ICT Development Index (IDI), a benchmarking tool that monitors information society developments worldwide. The latest IDI captures the level of ICT developments in 166 economies worldwide, presents country rankings, and compares progress made during the past two years. The IDI is based on official, comparable country data and is the only ICT index that covers such a large number of economies, from both developed and developing regions.
A high-level segment will take place on the first day bringing together ICT Ministers, heads of national telecom/ICT regulatory authorities and of national statistical offices, heads of International Organizations, Chief Executive Officers of private sector companies and lead academicians.
WTIS 2014 will feature:
- Keynote addresses by ICT leaders from the public and private sector
- A high-level panel debate on the topic of big data in the ICT sector
- An interactive discussion on the results of the WSIS+10 review process and future ICT goals
- A revision of broadband metrics
- A discussion on new data sources, such as online service providers
- New indicators to measure LTE advanced services and machine-to-machine connections
- Progress in the work on measuring e-waste and trade in ICT services, in cooperation with the Partnership on Measuring ICT for Development
- The results of the work of the Expert Group on Telecommunication/ICT Indicators (EGTI) and the Expert Group on Household indicators (EGH), for adoption by the WTIS
- The release of the latest ITU World Telecommunication/ICT Indicators database
A limited number of side events will be organized during the meeting for countries to present their data collection and dissemination platforms.
The WTIS, open to all the ITU membership, is primarily targeted at those responsible for ICT statistics in relevant Ministries, regulatory agencies, telecommunication operating companies and national statistical offices. Experts interested in the subject of information society measurements are also welcome to attend the Symposium.