ITU

Committed to connecting the world

Executive Summary of the Last Meeting

Results from previous meetings: 2010-07 | 2009-10 | 2009-01 |
2008-04 | 2007-06 | 2006-11 | 2006-04 | 2005-07 | 2004-11 |
2004-01 | 2003-05 | 2002-10


Meeting Results
Geneva, 14-25 March 2011

Executive Summary of the meeting


Major Plenary accomplishments:
  • Consented Recommendations: 32 at this meeting
  • Recommendations Decided/Determined/Approved: none at this meeting
  • Recommendations agreed for Deletion: none at this meeting
  • Other texts approved: errata (0), appendices (4), supplements (1), implementors’ guides (3), technical papers (6) and other documents (3)
  • Changes in SG 16 Question set:
    • Changes agreed at last SG 16 meeting to the text of Q27/16 (Vehicle gateway platform for telecommunication/ITS services/applications) were approved following TSAG endorsement
  • Discussion was held on splitting Working Party 2 in two smaller groups due to its large size, however it was agreed to try new management approaches to improve efficiency of the WP as well as consolidation of Questions.
  • A proposal for the creation of a new ITU-T Focus Group on accessibility was agreed; consultation via TSAG has started and final outcome is expected before mid May 2011.
  • Following the WTSA-08 mandate to coordinate its studies with ITU-T SG 9, collocated meetings of both study groups were held in the week of 14-18 March 2011. Opening plenaries of each group were staggered so delegates could attend both meetings. A joint plenary session was held on Wed 16 March. No major issues were identified, since coordination is ongoing, in particular during IPTV-GSI meetings.
  • The creation of the Collaborative Team on Mobile Item Identifiers and Resolution Protocol between ITU-T SG 16 Questions 21/16, 22/16 and ISO/IEC JTC1 SC 31/WG6 was formally approved at this meeting. Draft ITU-T H.IDcheme and H.IRP are expected to be progressed as common text within the new team.
  • ITU-T SG 16 also hosted the ISO/IEC JTC1 SC29/WG11 (MPEG) meeting 21-25 March 2011, as part of its ongoing collaboration for an advanced IPTV terminal and for the development of the next generation of video coding under the JCT-VC.
  • Rapporteurs and other roles: see below
  • List of interim meetings pre-approved: see related link
  • Final text of outgoing Liaison Statements: see LS database or related link (TIES account needed)
The meeting had 175 registered participants during the meeting period (compared to 209 at the last meeting). The final list of participants is available in TD 285R1/Plen.

Dates of next SG 16 meeting and interim Working Party meetings

The next meeting of ITU-T SG 16 is scheduled for Geneva, Switzerland, 21 Nov.-02 Dec. 2011. The meeting will be collocated in the first week with ITU-T SG 9, and is expected to host the ISO/IEC JTC1 SC29/ WG11 (known as MPEG) during the second week, to facilitate joint work on video coding and on IPTV terminals.

No interim working party meetings are planned.

Map of meeting reports & Liaison Statements (as seen by the SG 16 Plenary)

  Plen WP1 WP2 WP3
Meeting Report Q20: TD 300/Plen
Q26:
TD 301/Plen
Joint SG9,16:
TD 302/Plen
TD 303/Plen TD 304R1/Plen TD 305R1/Plen
Liaison Statements
(32 in total)
Q20: TD 306R1/Plen
Q26:
TD 307R1/Plen
TD 308R1/Plen TD 309R1/Plen TD 310R1/Plen
Work programme Q26: TD 311/Plen TD 312/Plen TD 313R1/Plen TD 314/Plen


Summary of Questions’ Results

Question 1/16 summary
Question 1/16 had a successful meeting and principally worked on progressing support of scalable video coding (SVC) in H.241/H.32x systems along with some discussions on how to correct the use of the optional CustomMaxDPB capability parameter in H.241. Q1/16 reviewed some input documents pertaining to the common text ITU-T Rec. H.222.0 | ISO/IEC 13818-1 and proposed two Recommendations and one Corrigendum for Consent (H.222.0 Amd. 5, H.222.0 Amd. 6, H.241 Cor. 1). The Question plans on holding one interim Rapporteurs meeting.

Question 2/16 summary
Question 2/16 successfully completed work on six revised or new Recommendations and a revision of the H.323-Series Implementors' Guide. The experts also initiated work on a new work item to define and end-to-end session identifier that will allow calls to be identified. This work is being coordinated with the IETF in order to ensure end-to-end identification of communication sessions where one end is a SIP entity and the other end is an H.323 entity. The Question plans on holding one interim Rapporteurs meeting.

Question 3/16 summary
Question 3/16 met for six quarters to review some 65 documents. Q3/16 continued work on a number of existing work items which has resulted in two Recommendations for Consent: New H.248.75 and new H.248.81. Q3/16 started two new work items: revised H.248.12 and new H.248.MGINST. Q3/16 also essentially completed the work on Recommendations H.248.66 and H.248.74, which could not be put forward to Consent due to the current unavailability of the needed/referenced IETF RFCs. Q3/16 prepared one liaison statement. The Question plans on holding one interim Rapporteurs meeting.

Question 4/16 summary
Question 4/16 completed the work on the draft revised ITU-T H.350-series including ITU-T Rec. H.350 "Directory services architecture for multimedia conferencing", H.350.1 "Directory services architecture for H.323" (Rev.), H.350.2 "Directory services architecture for H.235" (Rev.), H.350.3 "Directory services architecture for H.320" (Rev.), H.350.4 "Directory services architecture for SIP" (Rev.), H.350.5 "Directory services architecture for non-standard protocols" (Rev.), and H.350.6 "Directory services architecture for call forwarding and preferences" (Rev.). It was agreed to put them forward for Consent at this meeting. Experts were encouraged to bring contributions on advanced functions, e.g., QoS/QoE, mobility, security, for advanced multimedia systems. The Question plans on holding one interim Rapporteurs meeting.

Question 5/16 summary

Question 5/16 had a successful meeting, and agreed to initiate work on three new work items (F.TPS-Reqs, F.TPS-Arch and H.TPS-AV). New contributions on definitions, architecture, requirements, use cases, services, and interoperability were presented and discussed. A working definition of telepresence was proposed and adopted, and the living list was updated. Incoming LS statements were reviewed, and two outgoing LS statement were prepared (one to SG 12 and one to the IMTC). Q5/16 approved two ad hoc groups - the Telepresence Living List AHG, and the Q5/16 Definitions AHG. The Question is planning on holding one interim Rapporteur meeting.

Question 6/16 summary

The primary goals for Question 6/16 at this meeting of SG 16 were to review the progress of Q6/16, JCT-VC, and JPEG work, reach AAP Consent on JPEG work items that have reached sufficient maturity, consider maintenance needs, and plan future work. A substantial portion of the image coding work of Question 6/16 has been conducted jointly with ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 29/WG 1 (JPEG/JBIG). A substantial portion of the video coding work of Question 6/16 is currently being conducted jointly with ISO/IEC JTC 1/ SC 29/WG 11 (MPEG) in an organization known as "the JCT-VC" (Joint Collaborative Team on Video Coding). A meeting of the JCT-VC was held in a co-located fashion with this meeting of SG 16 under its auspices. The JCT-VC is tasked with development of a new video coding Recommendation known as High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC). A meeting of ISO/IEC JTC 1/ SC 29/WG 11 (MPEG) was also held in a co-located fashion with the current meeting of SG 16, and a joint discussion session was held between MPEG and Q6/16 regarding planning for the work of the JCT-VC on HEVC development. Q6/16 is planning to hold two Rapporteur and JCT-VC meetings before the next SG 16 meeting in Nov./Dec. 2011 and to hold a meeting of the JCT-VC in a co-located fashion with the next SG 16 meeting in Nov./Dec. 2011 under its auspices.

Question 7/16 summary

Question 7/16 issued a revision of the MCSD database including changes in the audio, video and still image data sheets. The LSs related to working on IDN and especially on visual confusion in domain names were discussed. The group decided to work by correspondence on the scope of a work item and to send a reply LS to the IETF. A reply LS was also sent to ITU-R WP6B giving some feedback on the status of the work on codecs in SG16. The Question is not planning any interim meetings.

Question 8/16 summary

Progress was made on the GSAD technical paper. Baseline text was reviewed and adopted, and suggestions were made for further input. No output liaisons were generated, and no interim meetings are planned.

Question 10/16 summary

Question 10/16 approved two new Appendices on mid-side stereo to G.711.1 and G.722 related superwideband extensions G.711.1 Annex D, G.722 Annex B, respectively. Q10/16 also approved new Technical Paper GSTP-G.711AppIII on characterization results for G.711 Appendix III. The Characterization Phase Step 2 of G.722/G.711.1-SWB was completed, and some minor maintenance issues related G.718 Annex B and G.729.1 Annex E Recommendation texts were dealt. Other than the approval of the texts, the procedures on standardizations of alternative floating-point implementations of superwideband codecs (G.722 Annex B, G.711.1 Annex D, G.718 Annex B, G.722.1 Annex C and G.729.1 Annex E) were discussed and progressed, and so were characterization of G.720.1 Annex A with regards to the VAD in G.729 Annex B and G.729.1. The discussions on G.722 encoded-domain time-scaling took place, and the group started on drafting its terms of reference. The Question produced four liaison statements to SG12, ITU-R WP6C, IETF Codec WG and TSB IPR Ad-Hoc Group, and is not planning to hold any interim meetings.

Question 12/16 summary

During this meeting, Question 12/16 worked through message flows, considering both a point-to-point call between that utilized several applications distributed across a plurality of devices and an application-handover scenario where one application/device was handed off to a second application/device. We also reviewed the progress made through electronic meetings and the areas that still need focus. The Question plans on holding one interim Rapporteurs meeting.

Question 13/16 summary

Question 13/16 held its meeting during the IPTV GSI event, 14-18 March 2011 Geneva, Switzerland. It was addressed in 18 sessions under the chairmanship of Mr Masahito Kawamori (NTT, Japan), assisted by Mr Marcelo Moreno (Brazil). The group adopted the agenda in TD 443/WP2. The meeting reviewed 29 contributions, and produced 27 documents, including 3 liaison statements. Based on the conformance testing and interoperability events held in Geneva (July 2010), Singapore (September 2010), and Pune (December 2010), Q13/16 modified and updated the related documents: H.762, HSTP.CONF-H721 and HSTP.CONF-H762, which were proposed for approval. Q13/16 created three new work items: "IPTV Service over Multiple Terminal Devices" (HSTP.SMTD), "Framework for Digital Signage Service" (H.FDSS), and "MAFR for e-health applications" (HSTP.MEH), the last of which is a joint-work with Q28/16. Q13/16 agreed to propose the following documents for consent (3) and approval (5). It hosted a joint meeting with Q28/16 and held an electronic meeting with Q3/13. In the interim period, the Question will continue work with regular e-meetings on audience measurement and on interoperability for IPTV terminals and services, and will participate in three IPTV-GSI meetings.

Question 14/16 summary

The goal for this meeting of Question 14/16 was to continue the development and maintenance of Recommendations V.150.1, V.151, V.152 and T.38. Implementors guides were prepared documenting known issues in ITU-T T.38 and in ITU-T V.152. Unfortunately no contributions or updated editor drafts were available on the new V.151 Annex F, so the goal set for consent of this text was once more not met.

Question 15/16 summary

Two contributions and six temporary documents for Question 15/16 were discussed in this meeting. One contribution proposes the work item on "do-no-harm" tests for signal processing functions. The other contribution proposes the new work of using performance-based coordination for signal processing functions in a call path. Some editorial changes were made in G.IP2IP and it was submitted for consent at this meeting. One interim meeting is proposed.

Question 16/16 summary

Further progress was made in Question 16/16 on drafting text for revised Rec. ITU-T G.168 V7 (Digital network echo cancellers), revised Rec. ITU-T G.160 V2 (Voice enhancement devices), revised Rec. ITU-T G.169 V2 (Automatic level control devices), new Annex E to Rec. ITU-T G.168 (Embedded echo cancellers), new Annex B to Rec. ITU-T G.169 (Automatic listener enhancement) and revised ITU-T G.160 Appendix II (Objective measures for the characterization of the basic functioning of noise reduction algorithms). Revised ITU-T G.169 was put forward for Consent and revised ITU-T G.160 Appendix II was Approved at this meeting. One interim meeting was proposed.

Question 18/16 summary

At this meeting, Question 18/16 advanced the work on drafting new Recommendation G.SPNE "Signal Processing Network Equipment", revised Recommendation G.161 "Interaction aspects of signal processing network equipment" and revised Recommendation G.799.2 "Mechanism for Dynamic Coordination of Voice Enhancement Signal Processing Functions". It was agreed to add to G.799.2 a new work item for soft coordination of voice quality enhancement (VQE) elements in the network. One Liaison Statement was sent to SG 12 and 3GPP TSG SA4. The Question plans to hold one interim meeting.

Question 20/16 summary

Question 20/16 addressed general coordination SG 16 matters. In that role, it reviewed the input Liaison Statements addressed to all Questions of SG16 and prepared five reply Liaison Statements (ITU-T SG 2, SG 15, FG Cloud, FG Smart, JCA-IoT and ITU-D SG 1). No interim meeting is planned until next SG 16 meeting.

Question 21/16 summary

Questions 21/16 and Q22/16 met jointly for six quarters under the chairmanship of Mr Noah Luo (also as acting Rapporteur of Q21/16). In visual surveillance, ITU-T H.626 (ex H.VSarch, Architectural requirements for visual surveillance) was agreed for consent, while new materials on mobile aspect of visual surveillance were reviewed to lead to the creation of a new work item. Regretfully, S2ST discussion and the accompanying demonstration were postponed due to the absence of the authors. Q21/16 is planning to hold one Rapporteur meeting before the next SG 16 meeting

Question 22/16 summary

Question 22/16 and Q21/16 met jointly for six quarters under the chairmanship of Mr Noah Luo (also as acting Rapporteur for Q21/16). In NID area, H.IRP (Identifier resolution protocol for multimedia information access triggered by tag-based identification) and H.IDscheme (Identification scheme for multimedia information access triggered by tag-based identification) made reasonably good progress. Major work is consideration for collaboration with ISO/IEC and coordination. Regretfully, S2ST discussion and accompanying demonstration were postponed due to the unavailability of the authors at this meeting. The Question plans on holding one interim Rapporteurs meeting.

Question 24/16 summary

Question 24/16 reviewed all the contributions to the meeting. The group made some progress on the development of the draft Recommendation F.UDExch "User data exchanging between functional components in network entities or terminals" and F.MOCC" Scenarios and requirements of multimedia optimization control components" during this meeting. A number of contributions on these two subjects as well as another Recommendation H.SA&TCFC are expected for the next Rapporteur's meeting. The group is planning one interim Rapporteurs Group meeting with the other WP 2/16 questions.

Question 25/16 summary

Question 25/16 discussed seven contributions and six Liaison Statements. During the meeting, Q25/16 made progress on H.SNMF (SNMP-based sensor network management framework), F.USN-CC (Deployment guidance of USN applications and services for mitigating climate change) and F.USN-SM (Requirements and capabilities of ubiquitous sensor networks for smart metering applications and services). In addition, Q25/16 decided to start new work on requirements of network robot platform for USN application and services (F.USN-NRP). At the meeting, Q25/16 produced seven output documents including the meeting report, revised text of on-going draft Recommendations and two outgoing Liaison Statements. Q25/16 decided to join the activities of the newly created IoT-GSI and plans on meeting twice in its context. The Question also plans on holding one interim Rapporteurs meeting with the other WP 2/16 Questions.

Question 26/16 summary

Question 26/16 continued its discussions on the establishment of a new ITU-T Focus Group. This work was made easier by a proposal from the recent ITU/EBU workshop for a Focus Group on digital audio-visual systems. The proposal was merged with the existing work and the group agreed a composite proposal to be submitted to the Study Group. Mr Peter Looms (Denmark) kindly agreed to be the chairman of the Focus Group. More work was done on preparation for a workshop on relay services to be held in November 2011, collocated with the Study Group 16 meeting. Most of the details are now agreed and an organising committee is being created. Good progress was made on the Technical Paper on relay services. It is planned to complete the work by the next meeting of SG 16. The Technical Paper will be used to provide guidance to implementers of relay services and will lead to suggestions for standardisation work in the area.

Question 27/16 summary

At this meeting, Question 27/16 reviewed the vehicle telecommunications related work including the work in Focus Groups, ITU-T Study Groups and other Standards Development Organizations. One Liaison Statement was sent to the FG Distraction. The Question plans to hold one interim meeting, possibly collocated with Q18/16 in the joint WP 1/16 Questions Rapporteur meeting in July 2011.

Question 28/16 summary

Q28/16 had two sessions during this SG16 meeting, one which was a joint meeting with Q13/16 during the IPTV-GSI event. The report from the recent ITU-D meeting in Tokyo on e-health asked for more cooperation with ITU-D and for more speedy delivery of documents. We also discussed the joint workshop with ITU-D and WHO, planned just before the next SG16 meeting.
 

Recommendations Consented by SG 16 on the closing Plenary
 

Description Documents AAP/LC**
ITU-T G.169 (V2) "Automatic level control devices" (Rev.) TD 346/Plen AAP 57

ITU-T G.799.3 (ex G.IP2IP) "Signal processing functionality and performance of an IP-to-IP Voice Gateway, optimised for the transport of voice and voiceband data" (New)

TD 321/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.222.0 (05/2006) | ISO/IEC 13818-1:2007 Amd.6 (ex H.222.0-MVC-ext) "Information technology - Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information: Systems: Extension to AVC video descriptor and signalling of operation points for MVC" (New)AAP 57 TD 331/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.222.0 (2006) | ISO/IEC 13818-1:2007 Amd.5 (ex H.222.0 J2k video) "Information technology - Generic coding of moving pictures and associated audio information: Systems: Transport of JPEG 2000 Part 1 (ITU-T T.800 | ISO/IEC 15444-1) video over ITU-T H.222.0 | ISO/IEC 13818-1" (New) TD 330/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.241 Cor.1 "Extended video procedures and control signals for H.300-series terminals: Corrections to CustomMaxDPB capability parameter" (New) TD 347/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.245 Version 16 "Control protocol for multimedia communication" (Rev.) TD 332/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.248.75 (ex H.248.PIPA) "Package Identifier Publishing and Application Package" (New) TD 329R1/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.248.81 (ex H.248.ETS) "Gateway Control Protocol: Guidelines on the Use of the International Emergency Preference Scheme (IEPS) Call Indicator and Priority Indicator in H.248 Profiles" (New) TD 336/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.264 "Advanced video coding for generic audiovisual services" (Rev.) TD 358/Plen AAP 58 (****)
ITU-T H.350 "Directory services architecture for multimedia conferencing" (Rev.) TD 348/Plen AAP 58 (***)
ITU-T H.350.1 "Directory services architecture for H.323" (Rev.) TD 349/Plen AAP 58 (***)
ITU-T H.350.2 "Directory services architecture for H.235" (Rev.) TD 350/Plen AAP 58 (***)
ITU-T H.350.3 "Directory services architecture for H.320" (Rev.) TD 351/Plen AAP 58 (***)
ITU-T H.350.4 "Directory services architecture for SIP" (Rev.) TD 352/Plen AAP 58 (***)
ITU-T H.350.5 "Directory services architecture for non-standard protocols" (Rev.) TD 353/Plen AAP 58 (***)
ITU-T H.350.6 "Directory services architecture for call forwarding and preferences" (Rev.) TD 354/Plen AAP 58 (***)
ITU-T H.450.1 "Generic functional protocol for the support of supplementary services in H.323" (Rev.) TD 324R1/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.450.2 "Call transfer supplementary service for H.323" (Rev.) TD 325R1/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.450.3 "Call diversion supplementary service for H.323" (Rev.) TD 326R1/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.460.23 Amd.1 "Network address translator and firewall device determination in H.323 systems: Support for ITU-T H.460.24 Annex B" (New) TD 327/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.460.24 Amd.1 "Point-to-point media through network address translators and firewalls within ITU-T H.323 systems: Improvements for NAT traversal without intermediary entities" (New) TD 328R1/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.626 (ex H.VSarch) "Architectural requirements for visual surveillance" (New) TD 334/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.761 "NCL and Ginga-NCL for IPTV services" (Rev.) TD 371/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.762 "Lightweight interactive multimedia framework for IPTV services (LIME)" (Rev.) TD 366/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T H.771 (ex H.IPTV-SBSD) "SIP-based IPTV Service Discovery" (New) TD 343/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T T.88 (2000) | ISO/IEC 14492:2001 Amd. 3: "Information technology – Lossy/lossless coding of bi-level images: Extension to colour coding" (New) TD 364/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T T.800 (08/2002) | ISO/IEC 15444-1:2004 Amd.3 "Information technology – Core coding system: Guidelines for digital cinema applications" (New) TD 362/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T T.808 (2005) | ISO/IEC 15444-9:2005 Cor.3 "Information technology – JPEG 2000 image coding system: Interactivity tools, APIs and protocols: Corrections to clause J.4.3.4" (New) TD 360/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T T.809 (2007) | ISO/IEC 15444-10:2008 Cor.1 "Information technology – JPEG 2000 image coding system: Extensions for three-dimensional data: Minor corrections plus clarifications on code stream CAP marker segments and quantization of JP3D images" (New) TD 361/Plen AAP 57
ITU-T T.832 (2009) | ISO/IEC 29199-2 Cor.2 "JPEG XR image coding system – Image coding specification: Corrections and clarifications" (New) TD 359/Plen AAP 57 (****)
ITU-T T.835 | ISO/IEC 29199-5 Cor.1 "JPEG XR image coding system – Reference software: Corrections to reference source code" (New) TD 333/Plen AAP 57 (****)
ITU-T T.871 (ex T.JFIF) | ISO/IEC 10918-5: "Information technology – Digital compression and coding of continuous-tone still images: JPEG File Interchange Format (JFIF)" (New) TD 363/Plen AAP 57
Notes:

*: some texts are subject to editorial cleanup before posting. Hence, the version posted may differ slightly from the TD indicated.
**: expected AAP Announcement for Last Call
***: H.350-series (seven texts) will have LC deferred by four weeks to allow checking the OIDs uniqueness in the X.500 ASN.1.
****: Editorial cleanup expected for H.264, T.832 Cor.2 and T.835 Cor.1 before start of AAP LC.
 


Recommendations Approved by SG 16 on the closing Plenary (according to A.8 §5)

None at this meeting.

Recommendations Decided by SG 16 on the closing Plenary

None at this meeting.

Other texts approved by SG 16

Appendices Document

ITU-T G.160 Amd.2 "Voice enhancement devices: Revised Appendix II - Objective measures for the characterization of the basic functioning of noise reduction algorithms" (New)

TD 355/Plen
ITU-T G.711.1 (2008) Amd.5 (ex G.711.1-SWB-MS-Stereo) "Wideband embedded extension for G.711 PCM: New Appendix IV extending Annex D superwideband for mid-side stereo" (New) TD 369/Plen
ITU-T G.722 (1988) Amd.2 (ex G.722-SWB-MS-Stereo) "7 kHz audio-coding within 64 kbit/s: New Appendix V extending Annex B superwideband for mid-side stereo" (New) TD 370/Plen
ITU-T H.740 Amd.1 "Application event handling for IPTV services: New video handling sensor event scenario in Appendix II" (New) TD 367/Plen

Supplements Document
ITU-T T.Sup2 (ex T.JXR-1) | ISO/IEC TR 29199-1 "JPEG XR image coding system - System architecture" (New)

TD 365/Plen


Implementors’ Guides Document

ITU-T H.323 System Implementors' Guide (Rev)

TD 345/Plen
ITU-T Rec. T.38 Implementers Guide (New) TD 337/Plen
ITU-T Rec. V.152 Implementers Guide (New) TD 338/Plen

 
Technical Papers and other materials Document

ITU-T GSTP- G.711AppIII "Technical Paper on ITU-T G.711 Appendix III performance" (New)

TD 368/Plen
ITU-T HSTP-AMSR "Technical Paper: AMS Requirements" (New) TD 340R1/Plen
ITU-T HSTP.IPTV-PITD "Delivery and control protocols handled by IPTV terminal devices" (New) TD 372/Plen
ITU-T HSTP.IPTV-AISC "Technical Paper: Access to Internet-sourced contents" (New) TD 373/Plen
HSTP.CONF-H721 (V2) "Conformance testing specification for H.721" (Rev) TD 374/Plen
HSTP.CONF-H762 (V2) "Conformance testing specification for H.762" (Rev) TD 356/Plen
Proposal for creation of a Focus Group on accessibility TD 323R4/Plen
Proposed ToR of the Collaborative Team with ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 31/WG 6 on mobile item identifiers and resolution protocol TD 357/Plen
Updated Media Coding Summary Database (MCSD) TD 180R3/WP3
 

Recommendations agreed for deletion by SG 16

None at this meeting.

Updates in the SG 16 management team and Rapporteurs

(Click here for the complete list of SG 16 Rapporteurs).

Resignations:

  • Mr Hervé Taddei (Huawei, China) as Rapporteur for Q7/16 (Media coding) and Q10/16 (Speech and audio coding and related software tools)
  • Mr Yoshinori Goto (NTT, Japan) as Rapporteur for Q21/16 (Multimedia architecture) and vice-chair WP 2/16

New Appointments:

  • Mr Roni Even (Huawei, China) as Rapporteur for Q7/16 (Media coding)
  • Mr Yusuke Hiwasaki (NTT, Japan) as Rapporteur for Q10/16 (Speech and audio coding and related software tools)
  • Mr Chiaki Ishikawa (Japan) as Co-convenor of Collaborative Team between Q21/16, Q22/16 and ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 31/WG 6 on mobile item identifiers and resolution protocol
Representatives and other roles:
  • Mr Chiaki Ishikawa (Japan) as Liaison Officer from SG 16 into ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 31 and its WG 6 (Automatic identification and data capture techniques)
See the webpage for the latest information.
 

Open positions:

  • Question 21/16 (Multimedia architecture)
  • Liaison Officer to ITU-T SG 9, JCA-HN, 3GPPs, OMA, ETSI TISPAN, IPR Ad hoc Group
  • EWM Coordinator
  • SG 16 Promotion Officer

 

Terms of Reference of ITU-T Focus Group on audio-visual media accessibility

1.Background

At the July 2010 meeting of Study Group 16, a proposal was made to create a Focus Group on accessibility, largely in the area of cloud computing. The proposed terms of reference could not be agreed and a liaison was sent to FG-Cloud asking them to consider accessibility aspects in their work. Work was started to prepare a list of study points that could be agreed for an accessibility Focus Group. The aim was to complete the work and create a Focus Group at the March 2011 meeting of Study Group 16.

In the meantime, a joint ITU/EBU workshop was held in November 2010, which concluded that Study Group 16 should create a Focus Group to study the accessibility aspects of digital TV systems. This proposal is contained in TD294/Plen. The proposed terms of reference have some overlap with those suggested for the original Focus Group proposal and this document includes a composite set of terms of reference.
The suggestion made by the workshop was also discussed at the last meeting of TSAG and was considered favourably. A letter from EBU (TSAG TD248/Gen) was supportive of the creation of the Focus Group and expressed the desire of EBU to take part in the work.

2. FG objective

  1. Encourage the availability and use of access services taking into account the needs of all users, making "accessibility to all" a principle for universal design in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

  2. Determine how to involve all stakeholders, including potential users, in the development of digital audio-visual access systems. For users, the principle "nothing about us without us", must be applied to any system development.

  3. Identify gaps in existing specifications that support the established service requirements in systems defined by both ITU-T and ITU-R.

  4. Identify the challenges to interoperability and access service interoperability requirements. Consideration should also be given to testing and other compliance mechanisms.

  5. Actively to promote the use of systems for access services which apply internationally agreed standards for a given delivery platform.

  6. Collect real-world problems from persons with disabilities and persons with age-related functional impairments.

  7. Collect issues and problems related to implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.

  8. Suggest actions to be taken to resolve access-related problems if they are within the mandate of ITU.

  9. Prepare clear guidelines on the application of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities to the delivery of digital AV media.

  10. Collect examples of good practice through case studies and other means, and to prepare guidelines for the inclusion of access services in all new digital AV user devices.

  11. Suggest actions to be taken to build awareness of accessibility and the concepts of universal design.

3. Further aims

  • Encourage people to become involved in the accessibility work of ITU.
  • Encourage the participation of persons with disabilities.

  • Encourage the participation of universities.

  • Encourage the participation of company accessibility departments.

4. Relations within and outside ITU-T

The FG will set up its own relationships. The following non-exhaustive list is suggested: Q26/16, Q4/2, SG12, SG9, JCA-AHF, ITU-R SG6, ITU-R SG6 WP6C,ITU-D SG1 Q20/1, ISO/IEC JTC1 SWG-A, ISO/IEC JTC1 SC35, W3C/WAI, IPForum, WBU, EBU, ETSI HF.

5. Deliverables

  • Various reports based on the above terms of reference.

  • A report on good practices.

  • Guidelines on the implementation of the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities

6.Parent group

In accordance with Recommendation ITU-T A.7, the parent group is Study Group 16.

7.Leadership

Chairman: Peter Looms, Denmark and EBU. Peter is Rapporteur of the group studying access systems in ITU-R Study Group 6, Working party 6C.
Vice-chairman: Mr Masahito Kawamori (NTT, Japan).

8. Participation

In accordance with Recommendation ITU-T A.7, clause 3, participation to this FG is open to any individual from a country that is a member of ITU. A list of participants will be maintained for reference purposes and reported to parent group (SG 16).

9. Administrative support

TSB Secretariat will provide TIES support and website capabilities from ITU headquarters, any other support should be provided in accordance with clause 5 of Recommendation ITU-T A.7.

10. General financing of the FG

As mentioned in clauses 4 and 10.2 of Recommendation ITU-T A.7, the focus group will be self-funded by its members.

11. Meetings

The frequency and location of meetings will be determined by the focus group and the overall meetings plan should be announced as soon as possible. The focus group should use remote collaboration tools to the maximum extent, and collocation with existing meetings (e.g. study groups and research activities). The meetings will be announced by electronic means (e.g., e-mail and website, etc.) at least 4 weeks in advance.

12. Progress reports

As required by Recommendation ITU-T A.7, clause 11, the focus group will report to each meeting of parent group (SG 16), and transmitted in copy to all involved study groups.

13. Announcement of focus group formation

The formation of the focus group will be announced by TSAG via ITU publications and other means, including communication with the other organizations and/or experts, technical journals and the world wide web.

14. Milestones and duration of the FG

The focus group lifetime is 18 months from the creation of the FG.

15. Patent Policy

The focus group will follow the Common Patent Policy for ITU-T/ITU-R/IEC/ISO as required by Recommendation ITU-T A.7.