ICT Innovation Application Challenge
Call for Applications for the 1st ITU ICT Innovation Application Challenge
ICT innovation is a key element to spur growth in the economic crisis. ICT innovation will be a game-changer in enabling emerging economies to sustain their economic growth in the future. The ICT Innovation Application application challenge is part of ITU’s efforts to tap the power and interoperability of ICTs in promoting sustainable prosperity and businesses in emerging economies by developing solutions to provide accessibility to the underserved and the unreached.
The Challenge called for submission of innovative ICT applications taking full advantage of mobile phones, mobile Internet access, and social media tools to transform inclusion, citizen participation, and transparency in the following areas:-
- Innovative mobile application services (e.g mobile health, mobile payments, etc).
- Intelligent Transport Systems.
Participants were invited to submit a working application and a concept paper falling under one of the above mentioned areas. This ITU ICT Innovation Application Challenge was launched on 22 November 2012 during the World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly (WTSA) in Dubai.
- Best App Individual Category : Prof. Mohamed Jemni (Tunisia), for MMSSign Application
- Best App Corporate Category : Senmobile Ltd (Senegal) for Defarlou
A Jury of high-level experts selected and awarded the best apps:
- Ajay Mishra, FG Innovation Chairman
- Pieter Geldenhuys, FG Innovation Vice-Chair
- Ramy Ahmed, NTRA, Egypt
- Dr Svetlana Maltseva, Acting Dean, National Research University Higher School of Economics, Russia