Nowadays, access to the spectrum/orbit resource, a crucial asset for satellite companies and countries, is becoming more and more challenging. Gaining access for this satellite spectrum asset is particularly intense for newcomers to the business, for smaller companies operating existing satellite services, for new national/regional systems and for anybody seeking to introduce new types of satellite application, particularly broadband and mobile applications.
In this regard, WRC-12 studied, inter alia, the situation of apparent congestion of spectrum/orbit resources resulting from the existence of rights related to satellite networks which are not being used in practice and has taken preliminary steps to prevent this type of situation to occur. Further changes would need to be considered by WRC-15 in light of the results obtained by the application of WRC-12 enacted changes to the Radio Regulations.
As a follow-up and also a continuation of the momentum created over the past three years on the efficient use of the spectrum/orbit resource, the ITU Radiocommunication Bureau is pleased to announce a three-day workshop in Limassol, Cyprus, 14-16 April 2014 at the kind invitation of the Department of Electronic Communications, Ministry of Communications and Works of the Republic of Cyprus, on " the efficient use of the spectrum/orbit resources.”
The Cyprus seminar will provide a unique opportunity to meet and share views with the world´s leading experts from administrations, satellite operators and industry who will provide the latest information on their plans for the development of satellite networks and discuss possible WRC-15 proposals for enhancing access to and the efficient and effective use of the spectrum/orbit resource (protection/extension of existing satellite frequency allocations, rights and obligation related to the application of the international regulatory framework…)
On the last day of the seminar, a more specific workshop will be organized to familiarize participants with the use of ITU BR software for submission of satellite network filings to ITU, evaluating coordination requirements and the submission of comments on Bureau publications.
- Technical methods for spectrum efficiency (sharing criteria, coordination trigger, advance antenna pattern, NGSOs, Ka-band etc.)
- Spectrum/orbit regulatory environment (bringing into use, continue to be in use, suspension etc.)
- Regulatory issues related to new satellite applications (nano and picosatellites, UAS, ESOMPs, ESVs etc.)
- Radio monitoring (technical, economic, legal and implementation aspects)
- Preparation for WRC-15 (status of preparation, sharing studies, future applications etc.)
- Incentives for optimal spectrum/orbit use
- International cooperation for the protection of satellite spectrum
Venue: Amathus Beach Hotel, Limassol, Cyprus