Slogan for 2011

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

begganp
New Writer

Ireland

Last visit
03 February 2011

8 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2009 :  22:45:22  Show Profile  Visit begganp's Homepage  Send begganp an AOL message  Send begganp an ICQ Message  Click to see begganp's MSN Messenger address  Send begganp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I remember mention of the hope that the Youth Forum Alumni might provide the slogan for the World Telecom 2011.
Though I realise there is quite some time before the event takes place; I find it would be a shame to lose the momentum created by the Youth Forum 2009 and a few ideas are already spinning through my head, but I think it would be great to have an exchange to commend and/or criticise different peoples ideas and so, as a collective a community of Youth Forum Alumni, develop a slogan. Again, it's just an idea, but it's with small and simple ideas that great things can be achieved.

Maybe to provide direction for the slogan it would be of use to bare in mind the 40th Anniversary of Telecom World (Advert: http://www.itu.int/telecom40/).

I would suggest that for any slogans created you please put the reasoning below and expand on it, i.e. explain the slogan and what it means.

All views, suggestions and opinions are welcomed.

begganp
New Writer

Ireland

Last visit
03 February 2011

8 Posts

Posted - 26 October 2009 :  23:05:11  Show Profile  Visit begganp's Homepage  Send begganp an AOL message  Send begganp an ICQ Message  Click to see begganp's MSN Messenger address  Send begganp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Now to the slogan-suggestions. I might just go ahead and start by being the first to respond. Well actually I've already been beaten to it in a different posting. So here is their suggestion and then my response:

Anas516
--- However, " With ICT , Earth will be safe ! " or : " Save the Earth !.Save our home ! " can be a good probable slogan for ITU forum 2011 , I hope! ---

I don't want to be seen as simply criticising and putting-down your ideas; however, your suggestions are firstly very specific and outside the realm and responsibility of ICT. Though it is important that Government and Industry recognise their responsibility to use ICT safely and wherever possible to better "the Earth", I don't think it is in anyone's interest to portray ICT as a "be all and end all" solution. What role does the ITU play? It's a UN-Agency for ICT issues, setting standards, cordinating usage, promoting cooperation etc. Based on former ITU Telecom World Slogans they are more ICT-specific and visionary (ICTs as facilitators) than direct, e.g. 2003: "Helping the World Communicate"; 2006: "Living the Digital World" and 2009: "Open Networks, Connected Minds".

A possible guideline might be to look at the promotion for the 40th Anniversary and what areas the lay emphasis upon:
"To mark this event, in October 2011 in Geneva, ITU Telecom will bring together the ICT community for a dynamic celebration of four decades of serving the ICT sector. ITU TELECOM’s 40th Anniversary Celebrations are set to acknowledge:
* The history of ITU TELECOM and its role in global telecommunications
* Growth of the ICT sector
* The importance of global networking and partnerships for global growth"

Additionally, we should also consider that the content of the ITU Strategic Plan 2008-2011. Hopefully the "fruits" of the plan will be evident and to draw on the main aspects in the slogan would blend in nicely to the anniversary.

So my suggestions are:

"Building Global Networks. Change for the better."

OR

"Building Global Networks. Connecting a Mobile World."

The "building" implies a working aspiration and cooperation with ICT being portrayed as a facilitator and aid. It has a practicality to it also as an activity grounded by collaborative effectiveness. It recognises that to build global networks is a gradual process, one which will require time and effort.

The term "Global Networks" combines a number of factors. Firstly, it is ICT specific. Secondly, it also contains the fundamental basis of the ITU "Committed to Connecting the World". Thirdly, it represents a fundamental element of what the Anniversary Celebration sets out to acknowledge.

The final sentence "Change for the Better" again draws on the event of the anniversary celebration and the concept of "development" as things "change". But it lays focus on the beneficial aspect of ICTs as facilitators, but also implying the same or similar of ITU Telecom. Understandably the ITU Telecom has gone through much change been cause, catalyst and cooperator in many developments and changes in ICT. This line seeks to recognise this and portray the positives thereof.

The other final sentence "Connecting a Mobile World" once more draws on the vision of the ITU in "Connecting the World" but with specific reference to mobility. This not only refers to the projected growth in Mobile internet usage, but also growing global mobility in people, ideas and products. This once more displays the all-encompassing aspect to the ITU as a UN-Agency and of course the Title of the event celebrating its 40th Anniversary "Telecom WORLD".

I'm more than happy to discuss the slogan further - criticism, suggestions, questions and - OF COURSE - compliments are welcomed. I'm not niaive enough to think my slogan infallible.
Go to Top of Page

anas516
New Writer

Syria

Last visit
16 May 2014

4 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2009 :  20:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again!

As a comment ,I think the term " building global networks " is frequently dealt with - maybe not as a slogan , but certainly as a policy and an activity of ITU. but I find the term "change for the better " attractive! because we need this change for the better not only in ITU, but also in all of our life lines.

Actually,when I suggested saving the Earth to be as main idea in the comming slogan, it was just for tolling the tocsin and drawing world's attention to the real danger threating our lives !
Where's the gain of building global networks and developing communication whereas our environment is being destroyed?!It will be like a skilled cook who is decorating a rotten cake! I believe in the role ITU can play ,not only as a facilitator but as a decision maker .So,it's so importanat in my opinion that saving Earth must be at least a recommendation of ITU conference 2011 if not a slogan.

Avoiding specific slogans,considering the real need for change for the better and drawing on the event of the 40th anniversary celebration , Isuggest a general expressive slogan that appreciates the efforts done by ITU team throughout the whole 40 past years such as :

ITU:four decades,for a better connected world ,for you!
Finally , I'd like to thank you Mr.Patrick for your good management of this topic .
but I'm rather surprised that there's no enough interplay here!
Come on Guys ! where're your ideas!
Take a part in! Join us!

A N A S

Edited by - anas516 on 16 November 2009 20:44:20
Go to Top of Page

begganp
New Writer

Ireland

Last visit
03 February 2011

8 Posts

Posted - 16 November 2009 :  22:27:27  Show Profile  Visit begganp's Homepage  Send begganp an AOL message  Send begganp an ICQ Message  Click to see begganp's MSN Messenger address  Send begganp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by anas516

Hi again!

As a comment ,I think the term " building global networks " is frequently dealt with - maybe not as a slogan , but certainly as a policy and an activity of ITU. but I find the term "change for the better " attractive! because we need this change for the better not only in ITU, but also in all of our life lines.

I suggest a general expressive slogan that appreciates the efforts done by ITU team throughout the whole 40 past years such as :

Finally , I'd like to thank you Mr.Patrick for your good management of this topic .
but I'm rather surprised that there's no enough interplay here!
Come on Guys ! where're your ideas!
Take a part in! Join us!

anas516. I was getting worried that I had initiated discussion on a "dead-subject". for the compliments!!!
I am also surprised that there hasn't been a greater uptake on the topic, put it on the blog - might try Facebook and see if I get a better response.

Agreed that "Building Global Networks" is a reoccuring theme for the ITU. However, as you so kindly observed, though a vision and mission it fails to have been used as a direct slogan. On the event of the fortieth anniversary what better opportunity to bring the basic fundamental aim of the ITU to the fore. You are right to question it, perhaps something more modern, more radical is called for. What did you think of "Connecting a Mobile World"?

quote:

Actually,when I suggested saving the Earth to be as main idea in the comming slogan, it was just for tolling the tocsin and drawing world's attention to the real danger threating our lives !
Where's the gain of building global networks and developing communication whereas our environment is being destroyed?!It will be like a skilled cook who is decorating a rotten cake! I believe in the role ITU can play ,not only as a facilitator but as a decision maker .So,it's so importanat in my opinion that saving Earth must be at least a recommendation of ITU conference 2011 if not a slogan.

I think this might interest you on the Topic of climate change: http://www.itu.int/themes/climate/

Mr. H. Zhao (no relation of Lin Zhao ) makes the point in an interview (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRTlsYzKWno&feature=player_embedded) I was trying to make to you when he says "ICT is our mandate, climate seems to be not our mandate". I still believe climate change to be a key issue that most be dealt with on a global scale because it's effects are not domestic. I still do not believe the ITU Telecom World the appropriate forum for this to be the central theme.

quote:

I suggest a general expressive slogan that appreciates the efforts done by ITU team throughout the whole 40 past years such as :

I like the idea of a general expressive slogan, It hink it is the best way to get the message across, reach consensus (as each specific community has its own specific problems) and to allow the freedom to interpret as is appropriate; however, I would avoid putting "ITU" to begin as the ITU has existed far longer than 40 years, just the Telecom World has taken place for the past 40 years. I have a few more slogan possibilities in the works, just need a bit more time to fashion-out their explainations, but to start a development of your slogan:

"40 years building a better connected world for you"

Keep commenting, keep contributing
Go to Top of Page

snarteh
New Writer

Liberia

Last visit
09 September 2011

9 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2009 :  17:02:12  Show Profile  Send snarteh a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for Guys for the topic, in celebrating ITU 40 years Anniversay, I think the slogan for such event should not only be about challenges or problems that the world is faced with and challenges that the organization is still faced with but rather successes that it has made in the area of ICT Development, Connectivity & Development. Therefore i will suggest

" 40 years of Transforming the World Through ICT"

I used transforming to imply that 40 years age the age of technology was far behind we did not have any idea of ICT services like the elearning, egovernment, eagriculture, internet services,cellphones etc. these dreams were far from reality and through the establishment of this noble organization ICT services have taken a new direction, it has become available, accessible, reliable and affordable to many countries in the world most especially third world countries(africa, asia,etc).

I will accept any feedback and suggestion.

Peace to all
Go to Top of Page

francisca
New Writer

Ghana

Last visit
12 May 2011

9 Posts

Posted - 18 December 2009 :  15:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey patrick you can analize the ideas i got...

ITU 40yrs- still connecting the world for development.

connect a world; build a nation; unite a people,still connecting

i used the word still to cover the 40yrs and the years ahead
ITU through ict bringing the world together for a global development.

Go to Top of Page

Mathieu

Togo

Last visit
31 March 2011

22 Posts

Posted - 30 December 2009 :  18:15:39  Show Profile  Send Mathieu an AOL message  Click to see Mathieu's MSN Messenger address  Send Mathieu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi Patrick!
i like the way you manage this discussion.but it seems like you have forgotten french people who would like to participate.
well, i agree with snarteh, about the slogan he suggests. i think you would rather take in mind what ITU Telecom World has done during his 40 years of age.
thanks!
i greet everybody
Go to Top of Page

bobirmirzo

Uzbekistan

Last visit
30 December 2010

10 Posts

Posted - 31 December 2009 :  20:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi dear my frins!
That is good reason to create slogan phrases!

Impossible is Nothing!
Go to Top of Page

begganp
New Writer

Ireland

Last visit
03 February 2011

8 Posts

Posted - 25 January 2010 :  00:06:59  Show Profile  Visit begganp's Homepage  Send begganp an AOL message  Send begganp an ICQ Message  Click to see begganp's MSN Messenger address  Send begganp a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mathieu

...it seems like you have forgotten french people who would like to participate.

Je crains de ne parlent pas français. Si quelqu'un veut bien de fournir une traduction de la discussion je m'en réjouis. Un autre problème est que si nous apportons dans de nombreuses langues qu'il mai être un peu déroutant car tout le monde ne parle toutes les six langues des Nations Unies.

The above was done with Google-Translator by the way, so it could say that "I wear banana-shoes with dolphins on them for all I know".

P.S. Glad you like the management and if you want you could start a discussion in french and we could then combine the top suggestions.
Go to Top of Page

ignacioavellino
New Writer

Uruguay

Last visit
25 January 2010

3 Posts

Posted - 25 January 2010 :  00:33:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patrick, nice to hear from you again!
Well, the first slogan that comes to my mind is about 40 years of evolution, and the impact on peoples life..
Maybe something like: "ITU: leading human evolution for 40 years"

Hope more alumni get inspired by it and keep contributing!

Regards to all!! :)

Ignacio from Uruguay
Go to Top of Page

francisca
New Writer

Ghana

Last visit
12 May 2011

9 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  13:24:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay patrick we have offered our ideas but we havent gotten any feedback or some sort of discussion
Go to Top of Page

Mathieu

Togo

Last visit
31 March 2011

22 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  14:06:46  Show Profile  Send Mathieu an AOL message  Click to see Mathieu's MSN Messenger address  Send Mathieu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by begganp

[quote]Originally posted by Mathieu

...it seems like you have forgotten french people who would like to participate.

Thanks Patrick for your reply.I'll be very happy if someone can translate me what you said in your first letter posted (in other to know specificaly why you need us).
but, for instance,i'm trying to understand what the participants are saying. so, i know that " they are suggesting slogan for 2011 ITU forum ". next time, i'll post you my proposition

Best regards
Go to Top of Page

ludovic
New Writer

Cameroon

Last visit
23 August 2010

4 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2010 :  17:41:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello .
for translation ,I can do translation french to english.
for the slogan:together lets us built ict for well-being
Go to Top of Page

ludovic
New Writer

Cameroon

Last visit
23 August 2010

4 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2010 :  17:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello .
for translation ,I can do translation french to english.
for the slogan:together, lets us built ict for well-being
Go to Top of Page

anas516
New Writer

Syria

Last visit
16 May 2014

4 Posts

Posted - 18 August 2010 :  02:03:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again ,
I'm ever so sorry for my long absence,but I had very much work to do last 3 months .....
Well,You and I seem to have something we agree on after all...
I believe the slogan with the way you suggest :

"40 years building a better connected world for you"
is quite accepted . It refers to the appreciated endeavours to make our life better and has the same ideas included in the slogan I've already suggested :

" ITU:four decades,for a better connected world ,for you!"Again , thank you for your intrest and good administration of this topic which I consider as important

A N A S
Go to Top of Page

saboorkarzad
New Writer

Afghanistan

Last visit
19 August 2010

1 Posts

Posted - 19 August 2010 :  20:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello guys sorry for not participating till now what if we suggest a slogan like this 40 year of keeping people better connected
Go to Top of Page

Mathieu

Togo

Last visit
31 March 2011

22 Posts

Posted - 24 September 2010 :  15:02:14  Show Profile  Send Mathieu an AOL message  Click to see Mathieu's MSN Messenger address  Send Mathieu a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bonjour!
Merci pour avoir ouvert ce débat!
En ce qui me concerne, je proposerai "40 ans au service de l'humanité".
Lorsque nous examinons tous les domaines, nous remarquons que les nouvelles technologies de l'information et de la communication ont apporté de nombreux changements: elles ont amélioré notre condition de vie, permis de rester connecter avec nos proches(nous qui sommes très attachés aux valeurs familliales), bref ont été à notre service. Ce sont donc les raisons qui m'ont motivé à dégager ce slogan pour les 40 ans de l'IUT.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jump To:
The Official ITU Portal of the Young Leaders in ICTs - ICT Youth © International Telecommunication Union Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Disclaimer - Feedback - Contact Us - Copyright © ITU 2005 All Rights Reserved
Contact for this page :BDTSupport