18 July, 13:15-14:30 EDT (New York Time) / 19:15–20:30 CEST
A side event organised by the UNGIS, World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), and Peru
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused unprecedented disruptions to the global community's efforts to achieve a more inclusive, resilient, and sustainable world as envisioned in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. However, it has also led to the widespread adoption and diffusion of Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs) critical to continuing the functioning of businesses and institutions, responding to challenges, and developing solutions. The pandemic has highlighted the multidimensional impact of the digital and knowledge divides, reflecting and widening inequalities, and demonstrated the critical importance of laying inclusive and resilient digital foundations of economies and societies.
This session, organised by the UNGIS, World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS), and Peru, will address the two major challenges of advancing the world's digital transformation: enabling universal meaningful connectivity and developing the competencies to address related risks and to harness its opportunities across UNGIS’ fields of competence.
The session will feature panel discussions and presentations from experts in the fields of digital innovation and sustainable development, including the question on how to harness and prevent harm of generative AI (such as ChatGPT). The session aims to share knowledge and experiences, highlighting the need for cross-sectoral collaboration and partnerships to leverage the full potential of digital innovation for a sustainable post-COVID-19 world. The session will explore ways to ensure that digital transformation is inclusive and benefits everyone, leaving no one behind and empower users to address related risks. Its outcome will also be of direct relevance to the ongoing process related to the proposed Global Digital Compact.
This side-event will be organised during the HLPF 2023 that will take place in Conference Room C, UN Headquarters, New York. Remote participation will not be available for this session.
- H.E. Mr. Diego Belevan, Minister, Permanent Mission of Peru to the United Nations
- Ms. Armida Salsiah Alisjahbana, Executive Secretary, The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP)
- Mr. Juan José Martínez Badillo, Chief of New York office, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- Ms. Estelle Zadra, Liaison Officer, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Dr. Mactar Seck, Chief of Technology and Innovation Section, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (ECA)
- Ms. Karen McCabe, Senior Director, Public Affairs & Marketing, IEEE Standards Association (IEEE SA)
- Ms. Christine Housel, Donor Relations and Strategic Partnerships, GlobeEthics (on behalf of the Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations)
- Mr. Robert Opp, Chief Digital Officer, United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Mr. Alex Wong, Senior Advisor, Strategic Engagement and Initiatives, International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
Links & attachments
- Please note some attachments are only available to UNGIS members.