International Telecommunication Union   ITU
عربي  |  中文  |  Espa˝ol  |  Franšais  |  Русский
 
 Advanced Search Advanced Search Site Map Contact us Print Version
 
Home : Themes : Climate Change
   
Logo ITU and Climate Change
Back to ITU and Climate Change

Share this site

Share | |
 

ITU Strategy in relation to Climate Change:
Objective 2


Position ITU as a strategic leader on ICTs and Climate Change
It is currently estimated that ICTs contribute around 2-2.5 per cent of global GHG emissions, mainly through their consumption of electrical power, but they can also help in reducing the remaining 97.5 per cent caused by other sectors of the economy. ITU, through its membership, should demonstrate leadership in showing how ICTs can assist in monitoring, mitigating and adapting to climate change. ITU should also assist its membership in coping with climate change, in particular through environmental monitoring, through adoption of energy efficient, dematerialization and disposal standards, through carbon abatement (e.g. by using videoconferencing to reduce business travel) and by helping countries to adapt to climate change (e.g. using ICTs for managing natural resources, environmental protection, and for monitoring natural and man-made disasters through emergency telecommunications).

Main Orientations:

  1. Develop, though the membership, a normative framework for addressing the issue of ICTs and climate change. This can include adopting draft resolutions at WTSA-08 on ICT standardization requirements for combating climate change, follow-up to WTDC-06 outcomes and future resolutions at WTDC-10 to foster the use and disposal of environmentally sound ICTs and PP-10.
     
  2. Implement existing ITU instruments, such as Plenipotentiary Res. 35 (Kyoto, 1994), relevant to climate change, as well as relevant WRC, RRC, WTDC-06 and PP-06 Resolutions.
     
  3. Develop strategic partnerships with Member States, Sector Members, and other organizations (e.g. GeSI, WEF, ETNO, WWF, UNEP, WMO) with an interest in using ICTs to combat climate change.
     
  4. Encourage more Member States to sign and ratify the Tampere Convention on Emergency Telecommunications.
     
  5. Promote the positive effect of introducing new uses for ICTs (e.g., reduction of power consumption, reduction of atmosphere/ionosphere heating by powerful transmitters, videoconferencing, and travel management) in combating climate change at ITU seminars and workshops.
     
  6. Develop and implement technical cooperation projects to assist developing countries to use ICTs to adapt to and mitigate the effects of climate change.
     
  7. In partnership with one or more developing countries, develop and submit projects under the Clean Development Mechanism of the Kyoto Protocol for reducing carbon emissions through the use of ICTs.

ITU Strategy - More about each objective

1: Develop a Knowledge Base   |    2: ITU as a strategic leader

3: Promote global understanding   
|    4: Achieve a climate-neutral ITU

 


Top - Feedback - Contact Us -  Copyright ę ITU 2012 All Rights Reserved
Contact for this page : Strategic Planning and Membership Department
Updated : 2011-07-26