Symposium objectives and participation
The objective of the GSS is to provide a high-level forum for discussion, open both to members and non-members,
with a focus on bridging the standardization gap. The GSS will have two main topics:
- Bridging the standardization gap (PP-06 Res 123; WTSA-04 Res 44).
- Collaboration among stakeholders to achieve this objective.
Although not formally a part of the World Telecommunication Standardization Assembly (WTSA-08), the GSS
will provide a report to the WTSA for information and action as appropriate, giving participants a unique
opportunity to provide input to the event that decides future direction for ITU-T.
Participation is open to all interested parties, including:
- Other standards development organizations and technical bodies, including regional organizations;
- Other forums and consortia, including those listed in ITU-T Recommendation A.4;
- Other relevant stakeholders that are not members of ITU-T, in line with PP-06 Resolution 141.
In PP-06 Resolution 122 (Rev. Antalya 2006), the Director of the TSB is instructed to “consider …
organizing a worldwide standardization round table and consultation meeting, possibly in conjunction with WTSA,
for one day immediately prior to the assembly”. Following further discussion by an
reporting to TSAG, and subsequent discussion in a
TSAG Correspondence Group, it has been agreed that a
“Global Standards Symposium” will be held for one day, immediately prior to WTSA-08. Following
the approval by Council 2007 of the dates and venue of WTSA-08 (see
R.1272); this will be held on 20 October 2008,
in Johannesburg, South Africa.