"A smart sustainable city is an innovative city that uses information and communication technologies (ICTs) and other means to improve quality of life, efficiency of urban operation and services, and competitiveness, while ensuring that it meets the needs of present and future generations with respect to economic, social, environmental as well as cultural aspects”.
Recommendation ITU-T Y.4900
United 4 Smart Sustainable Cities
The “United for Smart Sustainable Cities” (U4SSC) is a UN initiative coordinated by ITU, UNECE and UN-Habitat, and supported by CBD, ECLAC, FAO, UNDP, UNECA, UNESCO, UNEP, UNEP-FI, UNFCCC, UNIDO, UNOP, UNU-EGOV, UN-Women and WMO to achieve
Sustainable Development Goal 11: "Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable". |
U4SSC serves as the global platform to advocate for public policy and to encourage the use of ICTs to facilitate and ease the transition to smart sustainable cities.
The 5th meeting of the U4SSC Initiative took place on 9 October 2020.
|U4SSC is working on the following Thematic Groups:
Economic recovery in cities and urban resilience building in the time of COVID-19
- Innovative Financing
Instruments for Smart Sustainable Cities
- Guiding principles for artificial intelligence in cities
- Procurement Guidelines for Smart Sustainable Cities
KPIs for Smart Sustainable Cities
|The U4SSC developed a set of international key performance indicators (KPIs) for Smart Sustainable Cities (SSC) to establish the criteria to evaluate ICT´s contributions in making cities smarter and more sustainable, and to provide cities with the means for self-assessments in order to achieve the sustainable development goals (SDGs). |
Over 100 cities worldwide are already implementing these KPIs.
- City Snapshots [Esperanza, Argentina] [Santa Fe, Argentina] [Gjøvik, Norway] [Ålesund, Norway] [Moscow, Russia] [Valencia, Spain] [Pully, Switzerland] [Bizerte, Tunisia]
- Verification Reports [Esperanza, Argentina] [Santa Fe, Argentina] [Gjøvik, Norway] [Ålesund, Norway] [Valencia, Spain] [Pully, Switzerland] [Krimpen aan den Ijssel, The Netherlands] [Bizerte, Tunisia]
- Factsheets [Ålesund, Norway] [Riyadh, Saudi Arabia] [Valencia, Spain] [Pully, Switzerland] [Bizerte, Tunisia]
U4SSC Implementation Programme (U4SSC-IP) supports the implementation of projects and builds partnerships, which aim to build smarter and more sustainable cities worldwide.|
The U4SSC-IP Leader is:
Ms Kari Eik, Organization for International Economic Relations (OiER)