The protocol defined in this Recommendation is called the Service Specific Connection Oriented Protocol in a Multilink and Connectionless Environment (SSCOPMCE) and provides assured data delivery between AAL connection endpoints.
SSCOPMCE is a peer-to-peer protocol which provides the following functions:
• transfer of user data with sequence integrity;
• error correction by selective retransmission;
• flow control;
• connection control;
• error reporting to layer management;
• connection maintenance in the prolonged absence of data transfer;
• local data retrieval by the user;
• error detection of protocol control information;
• status reporting; and
• out-of-sequence delivery.
This Recommendation enhances the specification in ITU-T Q.2110 to allow the SSCOPMCE mechanism to be deployed not only on a single ATM connection but also:
• on multiple ATM connections between the same endpoints; or
• on a connectionless network.
When deployed on a single ATM connection, the protocol defined in this Recommendation is interoperable with the protocol specified in ITU-T Recommendation Q.2110.
This Recommendation describes the necessary elements for layer to layer communication, the elements for peer-to-peer communication, a detailed protocol specification, and examples of assured data operation.