Cloud computing is a model for enabling service user’s ubiquitous,
convenient, on-demand network access to a shared pool of configurable
computing resources (e.g., networks, servers, storage, applications,
and services), that can be rapidly provisioned and released with minimal
management effort or service provider interaction. The cloud computing
model is composed of five essential characteristics (on-demand, delivery
over a broad network access, resource pooling, rapid elasticity, self
and measured services), five cloud computing service categories, i.e.,
Software as a Service (SaaS), Communication as a Service (CaaS), Platform
as a Service (PaaS), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) and Network as a
Service (NaaS), and different deployment models (public, private, hybrid…).
Cloud computing was considered for several years as information technology
service-centric and controlled by Internet players. However telecommunication
players have an important role to play in the emerging cloud computing market
and ecosystem. The telecommunication network is a central part for multi-tenant
cloud computing architecture delivering multi-services for multi-users with
high QoS and optimal resource allocation.
According to the recommendations of the Focus Group on cloud computing,
cloud computing resource management, virtual application/multi-tenancy
and network virtualization are considered important study items.
The primary focus of this Question is to provide specifications for cloud
computing resource management, and the use of virtualization techniques
for cloud applications and networks.
This Question is intended to develop new Recommendations for:
- cloud computing resource management;
- virtual application and multi-tenancy;
- network virtualization for cloud computing.
Study items to be considered include:
- What new Recommendations should be developed regarding the
management of cloud computing resources?
- What new Recommendations should be developed regarding
the application virtualization, multi-tenancy and the use
of network virtualization in cloud computing?
- What collaboration is necessary to minimize duplication
of efforts with other SDOs?
- Developing Recommendations for cloud computing resources management.
- Developing Recommendations for application virtualization and
cloud-computing-based full network virtualization.
- Providing the necessary collaboration with external SDOs,
consortia and forums working on cloud computing architectures and
infrastructures, such as ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38, DMTF, and SNIA.
Questions: All cloud computing related SG 13 Questions (Q.26/13, Q.27/13, Q.4/13 and Q.21/13)
Study groups: SG 17 for cloud computing security
Standardization bodies, forums and consortia:
- ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 38
- Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF)
- Storage Networking Industry Association (SNIA)