Connecting communities with information and knowledge
Global public goods are things that will benefit all countries, peoples, socioeconomic groups and have long-term impact.
Over the years, IFAD has been engaged in a number of activities to ensure access and delivery of public global goods to rural poor people.
Recently, IFAD has been implementing the Rural Poverty Portal which is an Internet-based tool that connects rural poor people, policy-makers, IFAD staff and other development partners with information and knowledge about eradicating poverty. The portal will:
- Share poverty eradication knowledge, which is a global public good
- Provide opportunities to learn from successes – and failures
- Host discussions about rural development
- Link IFAD to its field operations
- Connect policy-makers with the reality in the field
The goal of the rural poverty portal is to help eradicate rural poverty by enhancing the sharing of information and knowledge and by positioning the fight to eradicate rural poverty as a global priority. The portal is conceived as a tool and a service that will connect communities of people with the information and knowledge they need to eradicate rural poverty, including the power to create, acquire, adapt, sort, disseminate, manage and use information and knowledge.
The portal model uses an innovative approach to knowledge-sharing and the generation of new knowledge that is highly interactive, outward-looking, non-IFAD-centric and open. Among the several innovative features are:
- frank discussion and learning from both successes and failures
- opportunities for rural poor people and their organizations to engage directly with the global poverty eradication community and to be heard
The site will go live 2 November
This project has been submitted to the Golden Book database.