Rural connectivity and capacity building Study in Senegal
1. To gather and make use of the available institutional documentation (local development plans, local investment plans, sectoral studies) in the departments of Kébémer (Lougo Region) and Kaffrine (Kaolack Region), working with the rural communities themselves but also with the decentralized services and regional development agencies.
2. To conduct a diagnostic study (in-depth situation report) of the overall technological environment at the sites.
a. Prepare a situation report on the technological environment, using the questionnaire prepared by UNCDF.
b. Describe the social context and the receptivity of the communities to innovation and technology.
c. Assess the innovation absorption capacity of the local communities and governments.
3. To prepare an inventory of infrastructure installed in the zone since 1995, highlighting:
a. Economic and social facilities.
b. The typology and operating condition of existing rural facilities and services.
c. The degree of access to basic services: health, education, information, communication, etc.
d. Gender-specific issues.
4. To prepare an inventory of the modes of operation of local governments in the two departments.
a. Describe the information and communication mechanisms now used by rural communities.
b. Describe for each rural community the information and communication services now offered to citizens.
c. Assess the level of democratic community participation in local government.
5. Prepare an overview of the socioeconomic situation, including:
a. An overview of the local economy in the two departments.
b. The major socioeconomic activities that support the local economy.
c. The major local economic structures.
6. Draft and submit a satisfactory report, including a proposal identifying potential sites for the project.
7. Provide feedback on the results of the study at a date to be determined by IDRC, UNCDF and Alcatel.
8. Support the UNCDF team in drawing up a research proposal for submission to IDRC.
IV. Methodological approach
The work will be done in five stages:
· The first will involve collecting information from the local authorities and from the PADMIR Project and extracting information of relevance to the TORs.
· The second stage will see submission of a preliminary report presenting the information collected.
· The third stage will be to prepare a field survey plan with a questionnaire for conducting interviews using the focus group format; the questionnaire will need to be validated by IDRC, Alcatel and UNCDF.
· The fourth stage will involve conducting the field survey among focus groups in the two departments.
· Finally, the fifth stage will be to prepare the report presenting the results of the data collection and the field surveys, as well as a request for financing for the action research project.
WSIS action lines related to this activity: Theme 1. The role of governments and all stakeholders in the promotion of ICTs for development
Theme 2. Information and communication infrastructure
Theme 6. Enabling environment
Theme 15. Towards WSIS Phase 2 (Tunis) (PoA, Section F)
Related MDGs: MDG 8. Develop a global partnership for development