|Master's degree in Economics and Political Science
from San Jose State University, California, USA, 1982
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND EXPERTISE
Mr. Al Basheer has more than twenty three years experience in telecommunication in Saudi Arabia and abroad including two years in ITU Regional Office in Cairo.
A major part of his career he has been responsible in Saudi Arabian Government (MoPTT) for the development of economic, financial, policy and regulatory aspects of telecommunications and for international coordination and cooperation.
He has over ten years experience as top executive and head of the department responsible for telecommunication policy and investment matters at national, regional and international level related to organizations like ITU, INTELSAT, INMARSAT, ARABSAT, UPU, GSM/MOU, GATS/WTO, UN, LAS, GCC, ICO, IRIDIUM, GLOBALSTAR etc.
In this position he was also responsible for liberalization, reformation and privatization of telecommunications sector as well as for telecommunication trade and tariff issues in GATS/WTO negotiations.
He has extensive experience in telecommunications management and development as well as in negotiating and formulating international agreements on commercial, operational, maintenance and investment issues.
|August 2004 – continues
||General Manager, International Affairs,
Communication and Information Technology Commission (CITC), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Responsible for international relations of the Commission, safeguarding of regulatory interests in international and regional organizations and representation of the Kingdom, in coordination with the Ministry and other public and private entities, in regional and international bodies of the ICT sector..
|June 2002 - July 2004
||Advisor to the Minister of Communications and Information Technology, Ministry of Communications and Information, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Responsible for international relations and regulatory issues, Please refer to ANNEX 1 for more details.
Also a Board Member of Communications and Information Technology Commission (CITC).
|April 2000 - May 2002
||Director Middle East & North Africa Affairs,
ICO Teledesic GL, Seattle, USA,
Coordination and introduction of the interests of ICO Teledesic in Middle Eastern and North African countries.
|December 1998 - April 2000
||Chief of the Regional Office for the Arab States,
International Telecommunication Union (ITU), Cairo, Egypt
Responsible for planning, organizing and directing the work of the Regional Office and associated area offices.
Please refer to ANNEX 2 for more details.
|September 1985 - November 1998
||Director General, International Affairs,
Ministry of Post and Telecommunications (MoPTT), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Responsible for regional and international co-operation and coordination of various telecommunication issues where Saudi Arabia has been playing a leading role. At regional level, special emphasis was placed on close cooperation with GCC and Arab countries to develop common technical and operational standards and to coordinate joint positions for various international fora. Nodal point in the MoPTT for introduction of GMPCS in the Kingdom and for negotiating related agreements with other organizations like ITU, ICO, IRIDIUM, GLOBALSTAR etc. Please refer to ANNEX 1 for more details.
|September 1982 - August 1985
||Director International Relations,
Ministry of Post and Telecommunications (MoPTT), Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Responsible for co-operation and coordination with various regional and global telecommunication organizations.
participation in ITU activities
|1982 - continues
||Plenipotentiary Conference of ITU:
Chairman/Co-Chairman of Saudi delegation, Chairman of Arab
Participated in all Plenipotentiary Conferences since 1982
representing Saudi Arabia. Chairman/Co-Chairman of Saudi
delegation and Chairman of Arab Group in three conferences
1989, 1992 and 1994.
|1983 - continues
||Council of ITU: Saudi Member,
Chairman of committees
Saudi member in ITU Council since 1983 and Chairman
of several committees and/or working groups
|1990 - 1994
||High Level Committee of ITU: Member
of the High Level Committee
Member of the High level Committee (HLC) responsible for
restructuring of ITU. The present structure of the ITU is
based on the recommendations of this committee and the work
of this committee is considered as monumental in the history
|1983 - 1997
||Radio Conference of ITU (WRC/WARC):
Chairman of the World Radio Conference 1995 (WRC-95),
Chairman/Deputy Chairman of Saudi Delegation
WRC-95 was responsible for taking several important
decisions on frequency allocation to various radio
communication services and related radio regulatory matters.
This conference made significant contributions to the rapid
development of GMPCS by allocating suitable frequency
spectrum for non-geostationary mobile-satellite systems and
by formulating the associated radio regulatory provisions.
Participated in all Radio conferences as Chairman/Deputy
Chairman of Saudi Delegation and chaired many committees and
working groups 1983-1997.
|1989 – 1998
Advisory Board of ITU: Chairman of TDAB 1994-1998 and Member
This board carries out an important task of advising on
priorities and strategies of development activity of ITU and
recommends steps to foster cooperation and coordination with
|1994 - continues
||World Telecommunication Development
Conferences of ITU: Head/Deputy Head of Saudi Delegation
Head/Deputy Head of Saudi Delegation in Buenos
Aires/Argentina 1994, Valletta/Malta 1998, Istanbul/Turkey
2002 and Vice-Chairman of WTDC-Doha/Qatar 2006
|1983 – continues
Conference of ITU: Head/Deputy Head of Saudi Delegation
Head/Deputy Head of Saudi Delegation in most of the
Standardization Conferences since 1983
||World Summit on Information Society
(WSIS) 2003 in Geneva and 2005 in Tunis: Deputy Head of
Saudi Delegation and Arab Coordinator
Participated in the first phase of the Summit in Geneva 2003
and all the preparatory processes for the summit.
Participated in the second phase of the Summit in Tunis 2005
and all the preparatory processes for the summit, and was
the spokesperson for the Arab group during the negotiations.
Member and Secretary of Saudi Arabia National Committee for
the World Summit on Information Society.
participation in other international and regional
||Inmarsat, London, UK: Member of the
Board of Directors
Member of the Board of Directors and participating in the
general assembly meetings
|1983 - 1998
||Intelsat, Washington, USA: Member of
the Board of Governors
Member of the Board of Governors and participating in the
assembly meetings of parties and signatories
|1983 - 1998
||Arabsat, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia: Member
of the Board of Directors
Member of the Board of Directors and participating in all
assembly meetings at ministerial level
|1983 – continues
||Arab Regional Organizations in Middle
East and North Africa: Saudi representative and coordinator
Representing the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in all meetings of
Arab Telecommunication Union (ATU) during 1983 - 1989;
Member of the Saudi delegation for Arab Council of
Telecommunication Ministers and related committees since
Coordinator of Arab States in international conferences and
participation in national committees
|1983 – continues
||National committees in the Kingdom of
Saudi Arabia: Member and coordinator in various committees
Playing a leading role in the introduction of GMPCS in the
Kingdom and was the nodal point in the Saudi High Level
Committee established for this purpose;
Member of the High Level Committee of the Government of
K.S.A. for privatization and reforming of
Member/Responsible Coordinator of the High Level Committee
of GATS and WTO.
National Project Coordinator of UNDP/ITU project, Advisory
Services to the Ministry of PTT
Board Member of Communications and Information Technology
Responsibilities in the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology and former Ministry of Post and Telecommunications 1982-1998 and 2002-2004
Mr. Sami Al-Basheer was responsible for co-operation and coordination with various regional and global telecommunication organizations as follows:
- Supervising the implementation of different agreements with international organizations and getting the high tech. know-how to the MoPTT for the upgrading its performance, and safe guarding the interest of the MoPTT at the international level;
- Supervising the Saudi investment opportunities at the International level and playing a decisive role in the policy of investment in the field of Telecommunications;
- Responsible for the preparation of strategic plans for the MoPTT at the International level and to safeguard the interest of the Kingdom and to take follow-up action to derive maximum benefits to the Kingdom;
- Responsible for introducing GMPCS in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (commercial aspects, operation and maintenance agreements) including cooperation with GMPCS companies like ICO, IRIDIUM, GLOBAL STAR etc. as well as governmental relations with these companies, and Saudi investment in ICO;
- Coordinating Saudi participation and activities in international organizations like ITU, INMARSAT, UPU, GSM/MOU, INTELSAT etc.;
- Coordinating Saudi participation in regional bodies and entities dealing with telecommunications e.g. League of Arab States, GCC, Arabsat etc.;
- Coordinating bilateral agreements for cooperation between KSA and other countries at regional and international levels;
- Responsible for coordination between MoPTT and international bodies/entities to introduce new systems and services e.g. GMPCS, Cellular, ISDN etc.;
- Responsible for coordination among different Saudi Ministries and other Government agencies for the regional and international meetings and conferences;
- Providing the international and regional organizations with statistics, information, data, etc. about the Saudi telecommunications network.
- Responsible for important issues relating to liberalization, reformation, and privatization of telecommunications services and for telecommunication aspects in GATS/WTO.
Responsibilities in the ITU Regional Office for the Arab States in Cairo 1998-2000
Mr. Sami Al-Basheer was responsible for planning, organizing and directing the work of the Regional Office and associated area offices as follows:
- Identifying the strategies, procedures and priorities in the context of the requirements of the region;
- Studying and assessing the development needs of the region and formulating general programmes for the enhancement of its networks and services;
- Organizing the collection, circulation and exchange of information on matters pertaining to development of telecommunications and their rational use, and the activities of ITU in these fields;
- Directing the preparation and submission of ITU proposals for consideration by governments, telecommunication agencies and funding entities;
- Developing a mechanism to increase the effective development and use of human resources of the region;
- Approving and signing, on behalf of ITU, project documents and revisions;
- Organizing resource mobilization activities in the region in order to secure funding of projects;
- Organizing and participating in meetings or seminars;
- Responsible for the overall implementation of the decisions / recommendations of the World and Regional Development Conferences, in particular BDT telecommunication development programmes in the region;
- Providing the Arab countries with all relevant information on the organization of global/regional meetings and conferences;
- Acting as the principal ITU representative Vis-Ó-vis the UNDP Resident Coordinators, Governments, telecommunication organizations, development banks and regional organizations in the region and developing and maintaining close relationship with these entities at the highest level;
- Directing, monitoring, supervising and evaluating the work of the ITU staff assigned to the Regional Office and the work of experts assigned to field activities and ensuring that any agreements entered into by ITU with these organizations are implemented;