CISD, SOAS University of London
The Centre for International Studies and Diplomacy (CISD) is committed to the promotion of excellence in teaching, scholarship and research. Through varied degree programmes and course offerings, as well a range of extra-curricular activities, the Centre’s aim is to deliver cross-disciplinary teaching and learning that combines an understanding of key concepts, theories and debates with effective practical skills training. Drawing on the academic expertise of both the Centre and SOAS departments of Law, Politics, and Economics, and leveraging SOAS’ distinctive regional expertise, CISD programmes seek to look beyond the traditional Western-centric approach.
Aims: All our postgraduate programmes aim is to deliver cross-disciplinary teaching and learning that combines an understanding of key concepts, theories and debates with effective practical skills training.
SOAS Expertise: Drawing on the academic expertise of both the Centre and SOAS departments of Law, Politics, and Economics, and leveraging SOAS’ distinctive regional expertise, CISD programmes seek to look beyond the traditional Western-centric approach.
Why study a CISD postgraduate degree?: In addition to SOAS wide activities and services, students have access to a range of activities organised exclusively for CISD students and included in the programme fee.
- Week long European Study Tour visiting international organisations such as the United Nations, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development or the European Commission.
- Communication and media skills training by current and former BBC staff.
- CISD offers its students the opportunity to take a language short course in the Language Centre, for one term, at no additional cost.
- Media internship with SOAS Radio, an online station and social media enterprise.
- Volunteer opportunities for Centre research projects addressing themes such as global disarmament, war crimes, and corporate accountability.
- Guest lectures by leading scholars and senior practitioners, as well as our Annual Lecture and networking reception (listen to recent CISD podcasts).
- Alumni networking events such as our annual Alumni reception or Alumni-led careers workshops.
|Category||Education & Research|
|Based in||United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland|
|ITU Global Directory||CISD, SOAS University of London|
|Director of CISD at SOAS |
|Dr Dan Plesch|
Dr Plesch read history at Nottingham and obtained professional qualifications in social work and public administration from Bristol in 1979 and 1980, he then worked for non-governmental organisations focused on the abolition of nuclear weapons. In 1986 he founded the British American Security Information Council (BASIC) and directed it from Washington DC until 2001, when he became the Senior Research Fellow at the Royal United Services Institute for Defence and Security Studies in London.
Academic posts since 1988 include Honorary Visiting Research Fellow at the Department of Peace Studies at Bradford University, Research Associate at Birkbeck College, University of London and Senior Visiting Research Fellow at Keele University.
Outside academia, he has acted as consultant and advisor to the UK and US governments, the BBC, CNN, Sky News, Kroll Security International, Oxfam, the Foreign Policy Centre and Greenpeace. He was the independent advisor to the UK government's department of constitutional affairs on the implementation of the Freedom of Information Act.
He gave the keynote address to the official conference on the London bombings of 7/7/05, and was invited to give a plenary address to the World Congress on Renewable Energy in 2006. Contributions to newspapers, include the New York Times, Washington Post, The Financial Times, The Times, The Guardian and the New Statesman.