[BR and BDT (Area Office in Moscow), together with the Ministry for Information Technologies and Communications of the Russian Federation and with the participation of the Regional Commonwealth in the field of Communications (RCC), conducted the first ITU seminar on the Regional Radiocommunication Conference (RRC-06) outputs and approaches to implementing its decisions. The seminar was held at the premises of Federal State Unitary Enterprise "General Radio Frequency Centre" of the Russian Federal Communications Agency.
The main purpose of the seminar was to elucidate the decisions of RRC-06 and provide information and exchange experiences in regard to the current status, main trends and regulatory, technical and economic aspects of introducing digital broadcasting and other digital applications in the VHF/UHF range.]
[During the event, papers were presented on the following main topics:]
[The seminar was attended by 100 specialists representing 13 telecommunication administrations (Azerbaijan, Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Moldova, Poland, Russia, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Ukraine, Estonia) and the RCC Executive Committee.
- [International regulation in the field of broadcasting]
- [Advantages of digital broadcasting (terrestrial, satellite, cable and hybrid)]
- [Outputs of the Regional Conference for planning of the digital terrestrial broadcasting service in parts of Regions 1 and 3, in the frequency bands 174-230 MHz and 470-862 MHz (RRC-06):]
- [Geneva 2006 Regional Agreement (GE06) and Plans]
- [Practical aspects of the Agreementīs implementation (format, notification, publication, coordination and recording of frequency assignments, use of BR software, etc.)]
- [Transition from analogue to digital broadcasting]
- [Other primary services in the planned frequency bands]
- [Use of digital broadcasting allocations for purposes other than broadcasting]
- [Current status of development, production and availability of transmission and reception equipment]
- [Main problems in the development and introduction of digital broadcasting systems in the RCC countries (including economic and licensing aspects of digital broadcasting)]
- [Practical experience in the introduction of digital broadcasting]
It was opened by the Head of the Russian Federal Communications Agency, Mr A.V. Beskorovainy, who, in his welcoming address, noted the crucial importance for the Russian Federation of the transition to digital broadcasting, and the great complexity of the work involved. He also expressed his certainty that the seminar would help in identifying the best ways to achieve the transition in the context of the RCC countries.
Participants were also greeted by the representatives of ITU's Radiocommunication Bureau and Telecommunication Development Bureau and of the RCC Executive Committee.]
[The seminar examined and discussed 23 contributions dealing with implementation of the RRC-06 decisions and with problems currently being encountered in the development, creation, introduction and operation of digital television and sound broadcasting systems in the RCC countries. A distinctive feature of this event was that contributions were presented not only by representatives of ITU, but also those of the RCC country administrations, experts from scientific research institutions, broadcasters, broadcasting and reception equipment manufacturers, and representatives of telecommunication and broadcasting operators.
The participants engaged in a lively exchange of opinions regarding the approaches being taken by the different administrations to the introduction of digital broadcasting, national programmes for the transition thereto and the role of governments in their implementation.
All of the contributions were received with keen interest by the participants.]
[At the conclusion of the seminar, the participants noted:]
[The participants further noted that the State must be an active player in the process of transition to digital broadcasting, in terms not only of regulation and financing of the transition, but also of its duties in regard to keeping the public duly informed]
- [the relevance, timeliness and considerable value of the event]
- [the high scientific and technical level and practicality of the contributions]
- [the high degree of effectiveness of digital broadcasting systems, in terms of spectrum usage and of the broader range of programming delivered to the user, and hence the crucial role of those systems in establishing the infrastructure of the modern information society]
- [the fundamental role of the ITU Radiocommunication Bureau in giving effect to the GE06 Regional Agreement, with particular regard to the BR software used in the preparation of frequency assignment/allotment notices in accordance with the requirements of the Agreement]
[The seminar adopted a number of recommendations relating, inter alia, to:]
[Further recommendations may be found below under "Seminar conclusions and recommendations".]
- [generalization within the RCC framework of available experience with respect to the strategy for transition to digital broadcasting and the development and introduction of digital broadcasting systems]
- [the continued organization and holding of such seminars in the future]
- [the development of guidance materials (particularly in regard to single-frequency networks) and software within the framework of ITU's Radiocommunication Sector]
[The participants expressed their deep gratitude to the International Telecommunication Union and Administration of the Russian Federation for their excellent preparation, organization and conduct of the seminar]