Internet Society Submission for the ITU World Conference in International Telecommunication Regulations (WCIT-12)

  • From: Sally Wentworth <wentworth@xxx>
  • To: <wcit-public@xxx>
  • Subject: Internet Society Submission for the ITU World Conference in International Telecommunication Regulations (WCIT-12)
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:20:22 -0400

Internet Society Submission for the ITU World Conference on International
Telecommunication Regulations (WCIT-12)

The Internet Society (ISOC) is a non-profit organization dedicated to
ensuring the open development, evolution, and use of the Internet for the
benefit of all people throughout the world. Since 1992, ISOC has served as a
global clearinghouse for technically sound, unbiased information about the
Internet, as an educator, and as a focal point for a broad based community of
interest engaged in Internet-related initiatives around the world. It
provides the organizational home for the Internet Engineering Task Force
(IETF), Internet Architecture Board (IAB), and the Internet Research Task
Force (IRTF).

As a Sector Member of the ITU Telecommunication public consultation. We
commend the ITU Secretariat and the ITU Council for taking action to allow
public input into the WCIT process. We think this is an important way to
encourage inclusion of differing opinions as part of an open and healthy
policy discussion. Through our Sector Membership, we have participated in the
Council Working Group on WCIT and regional and national dialogues on the ITRs
over the past several years with the aim of making a constructive
contribution to the work of the Conference.

The Internet Society remains hopeful that the ITU Member State delegations to
the WCIT will agree to a treaty that enhances rather than restricts
international telecommunications. As the Chair of the Internet Society Board
of Trustees recently stated,

“The Internet Society believes that the International Telecommunication
Regulations should contain high level principles and that revisions should
focus on things that have clearly worked in the field of global
communications: competition, privatization, and transparent and independent
regulation. It is our sincere hope that revisions to the ITRs will not
interfere with the continued innovation and evolution of telecommunications
networks and the Internet.” [ISOC - Board]

Our contribution to the WCIT strives to outline a positive way forward for
the ITRs; to emphasize the things that have worked in the field of
telecommunications; to make a case for why the Internet should not fall
within the scope of the ITRs; and, to highlight specific proposals where the
Internet Society has strong positions. We contribute to this process with a
strong hope that the results of the WCIT will enable the continuing growth
and innovation of international telecommunications but also with significant
concerns that, if care is not taken, the outcome of the WCIT could undermine
the innovative potential of networks worldwide.

We respectfully request ITU Member States’ consideration of the Internet
Society’s contribution and we stand ready to play our part in the process and
to assist governments as they prepare for this important conference.

============

Changes since 1988

Since 1988, the technology, providers, users, and regulators of
telecommunication networks and services have changed in ways that would have
been unimaginable to delegates who attended the World Administrative
Telegraphy and Telephone Conference (WATTC) in Melbourne. A wave of
privatization and competition in the 1990s replaced many of the traditional
government monopolies that dominated the international telecommunications
landscape in 1988, paving the way for lower prices, new services, and greater
connectivity. Regulatory reforms like the introduction of independent
regulators, rules to promote and safeguard competition, and greater
transparency in the regulatory process have all served to benefit the public
interest and contributed significantly to the growth in telecommunications
the world over. In 2011, an Analysys Mason report underscored the importance
of competition and transparent policy frameworks in supporting broadband
deployment in Sub-Saharan Africa [Analysys Mason]. Indeed, the 2010 ITU-D
Hyderabad Declaration emphasized the role that fair, transparent, stable,
predictable, and non-discriminatory legal and regulatory environments have in
promoting competition and affordable access [ITU-D]. WCIT-12 is an
opportunity to build on the 1988 ITRs and to apply the lessons learned in the
years since then to further expand access to international telecommunications
infrastructure.

There is still more work to be done to lower connectivity costs and to expand
the benefits of communications to all people, and to this end there are many
important policy lessons we can learn from the past 25 years. The concepts
of competition, regulatory independence, and the engagement of all
stakeholders in transparent governance would be an excellent starting point
for any revision to the treaty. Further, the ITRs should enshrine a
commitment to the use of open and voluntary international standards in
support of global interoperability. Finally, we note that the 1988 ITRs were
short, concise, and at a sufficiently high level to serve the Member States
of the ITU for nearly a quarter of a century without being revised. We
encourage ITU Member States to retain the high level nature of the ITRs and
resist the temptation to lock in specific business or commercial models,
technologies or regulatory approaches that will likely not withstand the test
of time.

The Internet is Different

People around the world have come to interact and communicate in ways that
were unimaginable to negotiators at WATTC. Although the Internet was already
nearly 20 years old in 1988, it was still a little known research-driven
network with limited impact on the world’s population. Since 1988, the
Internet has grown into a major force in the worlds economic and political
systems, as well as in how people live, work and play. With over 2 billion
users worldwide, the Internet still has huge capacity for growth and users
have tremendous opportunities today to leverage the technology to develop
game-changing innovations that could radically change the communications
landscape once again. In economic terms, a recent report from McKinsey noted
that the modern Internet is integral to GDP growth, economic modernization,
and job creation, generating over 10 percent of GDP growth in the past 15
years in the countries studied [McKinsey]. The UNESCO and ITU-organized
Broadband Commission’s recent report highlighted the myriad of ways that
broadband access is transforming education, health, government services, and
finance [Broadband Commission]. And yet, in many ways, society is only on
the cusp of fully recognizing and integrating the Internet’s full potential.

The Internet Society fundamentally believes that the growth of the Internet
is good for humanity. Globally interconnected networks have empowered
citizens, transformed economies and brought enormous benefits to communities
worldwide. The expansion of telecommunications networks throughout the 1980s
and 1990s combined with the ingenuity of the technical community, the
liberalization of policy frameworks worldwide, and a competitive marketplace
for new communication services all have contributed to the success of the
Internet.

At the same time, we that recognize greater global connectivity has raised a
host of new policy challenges for governments. Clearly, developing countries
face very real economic challenges in bridging the digital divide. Throughout
the WCIT preparatory process, governments have raised important concerns
about spam, security, and connectivity costs. We understand and, in some
cases, share these concerns; however, we do not believe that a binding
intergovernmental treaty is the best mechanism to solve these complex and
evolving issues. The reality is that technology moves faster than any treaty
process ever can. It is also important to recognize that there is rarely a
one-size-fits-all solution to the kinds of policy challenges outlined above.
Local policy environments, market conditions, and the development context are
important factors in any policy process. Solutions need to work locally.

In light of this, we encourage governments to work through a multistakeholder
process to develop flexible policy solutions that both support innovation and
stand the test of time. In our experience, global, regional, and national
Internet policies that work harmoniously with the Internet are more effective
in developing solutions that are both responsive and effective.
Policymakers, the Internet community, the donor community, industry, civil
society and users all need to work together to tackle these challenges.

Some have questioned whether the modern Internet is sustainable in light of
ever-increasing demands for new data intensive services, whether there remain
sufficient incentives for further investment, and assuming the negative,
wonder whether the WCIT provides an opportunity to address these challenges
through regulation. There have been assertions that new global regulations
are needed in order to preserve the revenue streams for some players and to
prevent an impending collapse of the global Internet. These are not new
claims. Indeed, fears about the sustainability of the Internet have come and
gone over the history of the Internet as market forces bring about new kinds
of investments, pioneering technologies, and innovative business models. It
is the very nature of the Internet – a distributed and open network of
networks – that enables this kind of innovation and evolution. Indeed, as a
recent report by the OECD on Internet traffic exchange concludes, “the
Internet model of traffic exchange has produced low prices, promoted
efficiency and innovation, and attracted the investment necessary to keep
pace with demand” [OECD]. The last thing governments should do is lock-in a
regulatory approach that may have significant and unpredictable negative
consequences for the ability of networks to evolve, for new services to come
about, for new businesses to be formed worldwide.

In short, the Internet Society does not believe that a new treaty-based
global regulatory approach that seeks to regulate how IP networks are
managed, to alter network architecture, and/or to determine how commercial
agreements between network operators should be conducted is good for the long
term prospects of a global, open Internet that benefits everyone [ISOC -
Interconnection]. Rather, policymakers should focus on policy approaches
that have clearly worked to enable the growth in communications to date –
competitive markets, liberalization, reliance on open standards, support for
the free flow of information, and multistakeholder dialogue.

Internet Society Perspectives

While we think that there may be opportunities for useful revisions to the
ITRs to reflect changes in the international telecommunications sector since
1988, we have deep concerns that some of the proposals to the WCIT would have
serious negative implications for the global Internet. In our view, it is
impossible to draw analogies between the traditional Public Switched
Telephone Network (PSTN) and the Internet because the basic concepts,
architecture, and operation are very different. The current ITRs were
produced with the PSTN in mind. By explicitly or implicitly extending some of
the current articles and related approaches to cover the Internet, and, using