Invitation to candidates for ITU's five top posts to participate in an interview
The September-October 2014 issue of the ITU News magazine and its digital platform will focus on the upcoming Plenipotentiary Conference (PP-14), to be held in Busan, Republic of Korea, from 20 October to 7 November 2014.
Responding to the growing interest in the Union's elections for the five top posts, this Special Edition of ITU News will present the visions and opinions of candidates seeking to be elected to these posts.
The interview questions are available on the following link for candidates for the posts of Secretary-General, Deputy Secretary-General, Director of the Radiocommunication Bureau, Director of the Telecommunication Standardization Bureau and Director of the Telecommunication Development Bureau.
This invitation, along with the interview questions were sent on 15 July 2014 to already officially declared candidates. They are being posted here simultaneously for reasons of fairness, equal treatment and transparency to enable any further candidates, who may officially announce their candidatures before the magazine's closing deadline of 22 August 2014 to also participate in the Special Edition.
The following conditions apply:
- Your responses to the questions must not in total exceed 1000 words (maximum), and must be accompanied by a biography of around 200 words and a photograph of yourself alone.
- For fairness of treatment, no text that exceeds the above word count will be accepted.
- To enable the timely publication of the Special Edition in the six official languages of the Union (English, Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish), you are kindly requested to submit your responses by Friday, 22 August 2014, no later than 23.59 hours, Geneva time (exactly one month before the closure of candidatures).
- Texts can be submitted in any of the Union's six languages, and will be translated by ITU.
- The responses and biography must be submitted electronically as an e-mail attachment in "Word for Windows" both to
firstname.lastname@example.org and to
email@example.com with "Contribution to the September-October 2014 Special Edition of ITU News" in the subject line.
- Texts received after the magazine's closing deadline of Friday, 22 August 2014 will not be published.
- The interviews will also be posted on the magazine's website (https://itunews.itu.int) for public access as well as on the
PP-14 newsroom for access by media worldwide and by conference participants.
- The interviews for all five elective posts will be published in the order listed in the ITU Constitution and Convention (Secretary-General, Deputy Secretary-General, Director of the Radiocommunication Bureau, Director of the Telecommunication Standardization Bureau and Director of the Telecommunication Development Bureau). The interviews will be presented in French alphabetical order of the candidates' last names.
Early submission of text, without waiting for the magazine's closing deadline of 22 August 2014, would be much appreciated as it will help expedite the production process of the Special Edition.
We look forward to working with you to produce a world-class edition that sets out clearly and simply your vision of how telecommunications and information and communication technologies will impact our world in the coming years, and how you will contribute to shaping that future.