Applying to be a Junior Professional Officer
Applications for the JPO programme must be made through the appointed representative of the candidate's government and not directly to ITU. Candidates for the JPO Programme are selected on a highly competitive basis.
The qualifications below are required for consideration:
- Candidates should usually be under 35 years of age;
- degree (or equivalent) in telecommunications, engineering, science, economics, international relations, business management, public administration, law, or any development-related discipline must have been obtained by the time of application;
- A minimum of two years of working experience is prerequisite in general; experience in a developing country is considered as an advantage.
- Candidates should be proficient (writing and speaking) in at least one of the six official languages of ITU, Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish. Good knowledge of a second official ITU language is a plus. Please note that the working languages within the UN system are English and French.
- Candidates should possess excellent information technology skills, including working knowledge of: word-processing tools, database applications, presentation software, basic web pages creation and web browsers (Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.)
- Evidence of ability to think strategically; analyze problems and find solutions; express ideas clearly and work both independently and in teams is essential. A sense of self-assuredness combined with cultural and gender sensitivity is also very important;
- Candidates should be committed to development issues and show interest in adapting to varied physical and professional environments as well as the desire to work with and adapt to people with different language national and cultural backgrounds.
Although this list is not exhaustive, applicants should note that it references what are generally considered to be the minimum requirements for consideration. Exceptions and amendments to the list of requirements may be depending on requirements of the donor government and the needs of the duty station.
Go to JPO Appointment and Supervision
Back to JPO