The fourth and final meeting of the ITU-D Study Group 2 for the 2014-2017 study period was held in Geneva from 3 to7 April 2017.
The meeting finalized 9 Study Question Reports and other deliverables requested by WTDC-14 which consist of practical guidance, checklists, toolkits, guidelines and training material. The reports will be presented to World Telecommunication Development Conference (WTDC-17) which will be held in Buenos Aires Argentina from 9 to 20 October 2017.
The Study Questions reports finalized include:
- Creating the smart society: Social and economic development through ICT applications
- Information and telecommunications/ICTs for e-health
- Securing information and communication networks: Best practices for developing a culture of cybersecurity
- Assistance to developing countries for implementing conformance and interoperability programmes
- Utilization of telecommunications/ICTs for disaster preparedness, mitigation and response
- ICT and climate change
- Strategies and policies concerning human exposure to electromagnetic fields
- Strategies and policies for the proper disposal or reuse of telecommunication/ICT waste material
- Identification of study topics in the ITU-T and ITU-R study groups which are of particular interest to developing countries
"By finalizing the reports and other deliverables including practical guidelines, checklists and training material, we are well on the way towards delivering on the expectations that WTDC-14 set out for us", said Mr Brahima Sanou Director of the ITU's Telecommunication Development Bureau.
He added, "ITU-D Study Groups gives access to a global pool of expertise and resources from which every country can benefit. We need to continue this great work for the benefit of our membership."
ITU-D Study Group 2 is chaired by Dr Ahmad Reza Sharafat.
Click here for more details about ITU-D Study Group 2.
See also: Photo Gallery