About Development Sector Projects
The ITU-D has longstanding years of experience in the execution and implementation of projects in ICT for Development. The types of small, medium and large-scale projects undertaken include telecommunication infrastructure development, capacity building, policies and regulation, e-services, cybersecurity, emergency telecommunications, ICTs for persons with disabilities, etc.
During the fifth World Telecommunication Development Conference
(WTDC-10) of the ITU, each region grouped its initiatives and selected the top projects that best met its particular priorities. The following 28 Regional Initiatives based on WTDC-10 Resolution 17
(Rev. Hyderabad, 2010) were adopted to be implemented during this four-year period:
Africa Regional Initiatives:
- Human and institutional capacity building
- Strengthening and harmonizing policy and regulatory frameworks for integration of African telecommunication/ICT markets
- Development of a broadband infrastructure and achievement of regional interconnectivity and universal access
- Introduction of new digital broadcasting technologies
- Implementation of the recommendations of the Connect Africa summit.