09 April 2013
Recently published – Regulation and consumer protection in a converging environment
The report describes and analyses the various resources, strategies and tools regulators need to improve the enforcement of national laws, rules and regulations governing consumer protection in a converging environment. The “golden rules for convergence” need to balance the following regulatory objectives:
- - Encourage investment in high-speed networks and advanced technological solutions ;
- - Protect innovators, creators and consumers from counterfeiting and piracy associated with the online distribution ;
- - Promote and safeguard e-commerce ;
- - Ensure consumers have all the information they need to make informed choices and have adequate protection and redress mechanism if things go wrong ;
- - Create a simpler, clearer regulatory framework and level playing field for distributors of content.