Joint ITU-T/IEEE Workshop on Next Generation Optical Access Systems
Geneva, Switzerland 19 — 20 June 2008
ITU-T and the IEEE will hold a joint workshop on Next Generation Optical
Access Systems, 19-20 June in Geneva. The workshop is the third in
partnership with IEEE and follows the Kaleidoscope event in May and the
workshop on Carrier-class Ethernet held 31 May- 1 June 2007.
The event will review the work areas within ITU-T and IEEE 802.3 on the
development of broadband optical access network standards. The relevant
standards groups are ITU-T Q2/15 on optical access network systems and IEEE
P802.3av Task Force on 10Gb/s PHY for EPON. This workshop will cover the
network evolution scenario, service requirements, the transport mechanism
and the physical layer for next generation optical access systems. The event
will focus on the opportunities for further collaboration in the development
of optical access network system standards.
Session topics will include:
Information and Documentation
- Emerging services heavily dependent on bandwidth availability and Operators’ deployment experiences and future plans;
- Service and OAM requirements for next-generation optical-access including evolution scenarios and power saving mechanisms;
- Physical layer requirements for next generation optical access including optical power budgets and wavelength plans;
- Transmission mechanisms of optical access including a comparison of the ITU-T and IEEE studies;
- Interplay between optical access technologies and solutions developed for other markets (lasers, receivers, etc.);
- Alternative technologies and vendors’ solutions.