|Workshop on Standardization in E-Health
Geneva, 23-25 May 2003
Success of DICOM standard
During last several years, rapid development of medical imaging technologies and digital workflow caused significant additions to the DICOM standard. We will discuss most prominent enhancements in the standard that address issues of multiframe image objects, such as MR, as well as the explosive growth of objects utilizing DICOM SR encoding, used to generate and exchange information from modalities and CAD devices, among others.
We will take a look into the future and consider issues and technological opportunities related to the strategic evolution of DICOM. A number of trends have been identified, and the impact of these trends on the future standardization activities in DICOM will be assessed.
Impacted domains are:
- the content (size of images, waveforms, structured text with coded vocabularies),
- content management (more related objects to manage, co-operation of multiple object management systems),
- processing and presentation (presentation of multi-dimension objects, consistent presentation of color images, image fusion)
- content distribution (web-distribution, persistent object reference, new media and applications)
- workflow management (extension of scope from acquisition to post-processing and reporting)
[ Back ]