|Workshop on Standardization in E-Health
Geneva, 23-25 May 2003
Status of IT Standardisation in Healthcare
IT-standardisation began in isolated islands of domain segments, and has achieved different maturity.
It evolved from connectivity to interoperability (bottom-up), from data exchange to workflow. Based on
data models the next step is medical process optimization.
Domain segments just begin to grow together; high-level standards for EHR (Electronic Helath Record) have
not yet made their way. National and regional standards will not survive, and will migrate into international standards.
Success factors for Healthcare IT standardisation are:
- cooperative work of the major stakeholders:
- Users for requirements, real life use cases
- Industry for technology, product quality, product maintenance
- Academics for concepts, knowledge management
- Government for compliance with legal framework
- clearly defined Scope of SDO
- cooperation between SDOs of diverse domains
- Intensity of work
[ Back ]