(Continuation of Q.3/17)
The work on the base Recommendations for Open Systems Interconnection (OSI)
has been completed. This includes work on OSI reference model; upper layer
(Application, Presentation and Session) structure, services and protocols; and
lower layer (Transport, Network, Data Link and Physical) structure, services and
protocols. Also mature is the work on Message Handling; Reliable Transfer;
Remote Operations; Commitment, Concurrency and Recovery (CCR); and Transaction
Systems based on these OSI Recommendations may be implemented over a
relatively long period of time. Operational experience with implemented systems
based on these Recommendations may lead to the discovery of technical errors or
desirable enhancements to these Recommendations. Therefore there is a need for
ongoing maintenance of X-series OSI Recommendations.
These Recommendations are:
- OSI Architecture – X.200, X.210, X.220, X.630, X.650
- Message Handling – F.400, F.401, F.410, F.415, F.420, F.421, F.423,
F.435, F.440, F.471, F.472, X.400, X.402, X.404, X.408, X.411, X.412, X.413,
X.419, X.420, X.421, X.435, X.440, X.445, X.446, X.460, X.462, X.467, X.481,
X.482, X.483, X.484, X.485, X.486, X.487, X.488
- Transaction Processing – X.860, X.861, X.862, X.863
- Commitment, Concurrency and Recovery (CCR) – X.851, X.852, X.853
- Remote Operations – X.219, X.229, X.249, X.880, X.881, X.882
- Reliable Transfer – X.218, X.228, X.248
- Upper Layers – X.287, X.637, X.638, X.639
- Application Layer – X.207, X.217, X.217bis, X.227, X.227bis, X.237,
X.237bis, X.247, X.257
- Presentation Layer – X.216, X.226, X.236, X.246, X.256
- Session Layer – X.215, X.225, X.235, X.245, X.255
- Lower Layers – X.260
- Transport Layer – X.214, X.224, X.234, X.264, X.274, X.284, X.634
- Network Layer – X.213, X.223, X.233, X.263, X.273, X.283, X.610, X.612,
X.613, X.614, X.622, X.623, X.625, X.633
- Data link Layer – X.212, X.222, X.282
- Physical Layer – X.211, X.281
- Quality of service – X.641, X.642
NOTE – The following closely related Recommendations are the responsibility
of other Questions or study groups.
- The X.290-X.299 series on Conformance Testing is under the
responsibility of Question 14/17.
- The X.500-X.599 series on the Directory is under the responsibility of
- The X.600-X.609 series on Multi-peer Communications is under the
responsibility of Study Group 11.
- The X.660-X.679 series on Registration Authorities is under the
responsibility of Question 12/17.
- The X.680-X.699 series on ASN.1 is under the responsibility of Question
- The X.700-X.799 series of Recommendations on Systems Management is under
the responsibility of Study Group 2.
- The X.800-X.849 series of Recommendations on Security is under the
responsibility of Question 2/17.
- The X.890-X.899 series of Recommendations on Generic Applications of
ASN.1 is under the responsibility of Question 12/17.
Study items to be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Continue maintenance of OSI architecture and individual layer
Recommendations to provide any needed enhancements and to resolve any
reported defects; and
- Continue maintenance of Message Handling Service and Systems, Reliable
Transfer, Remote Operations, CCR, and Transaction Processing to provide any
needed enhancements and to resolve any reported defects.
This work is to be carried out in collaboration with the ISO/IEC JTC 1.
Close collaboration and liaison with other study groups and other
international groups implementing OSI is highly desirable to ensure the widest
applicability of resulting Recommendations.
Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Develop corrections or enhancements to OSI Recommendations, as needed,
based on received contributions; and
- Maintain the OSI Implementers’ Guide and the MHS Implementers’ Guide.
Recommendations: X.290-X.299 series, X.500-X.599 series, X.600-X.609 series,
X.660 X.699 series, X.700-X.799 series, X.800-X.849 series and X.890-X899 series
Questions: ITU-T Qs 2, 11, 12, 14/17, 11/2 and 15/11
Study groups: ITU-T SGs 2, 11 and 13
Standardization bodies: ISO/IEC JTC 1